What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the FM Radio app for?

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the FM Radio app on my Mini 4 for? I see it but it appears to have something to do with Siri.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no native fm radio app. If the app Radio FM is on your iPad, and you didn’t put it there, that means you have not set the iPad up properly.

When you turned on your iPad for the first time you should have gone through a series of setup screens. You would have been asked to either give your current Apple ID, or create a new one. If you did not do this, then you are using an iPad still associated with the previous user’s Apple ID. Not a good idea for many reasons.

If you are talking about the Radio tab in the Music app, then depending on your status as a Apple Music subscirber you can see internet re-broadcast radio stations (see below) and/or Apple music stations (which may be hand currated, automatically generate, or a combination thereof).

There are several apps in the App Store that will let you listen to FM radio stations. However, you are not listening to actual radio. You are listening to an internet re-broadcast of that station. The down side; you can’t listen without an internet connection. The up side, you can listen to a rediculous number of radio stations from around the world.

My prefered app for this is TuneIn Radio; though I rarely use it. I believe it (and several similar apps) is also available on Android.

Another interesting not-real-radio app catagory is radio scanners. There are quite a few apps that will let you listen into local emergency service radio stations; Police, Fire, EMS, etc. The one I use is Police Scanner+

Last edited:
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that you invented the iPad. I pretty much figured that it was tied to iTunes in the way of streaming radio stations. Now as far as the scanner apps, I could get into that. Thanks for the continued education that you are providing to me. I am having a blast with this thing as I love learning new tech.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I purchased an iPad 1 almost as soon they were available, and I’ve been using the 12.9” Pro as my primary computer for about a year and a half. Add in hanging out in this forum since 2011, and a few bits and pieces of iPad lore are bound to stick to me.

Note 1: I held out for the cellular version of the iPad 1, so I got mine a month later than those that preordered the wi-fi only model.

Note 2: About a month after I got the 12.9” iPad Pro, my iMac started having fits. I fixed the iMac, eventually, but the experience changed all my habits and now I rarely turn on the ‘real’ computer.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back in 2008, I bought my first laptop after saying for years that I did not have any use for one. Now I am on my second laptop and hardly ever use my desktop anymore. Now, just a couple of days being an iPad user, I am wondering if it is going to be a game changer for me as well. I installed an anti glare screen protector and a protective case on it yesterday. It made it a bit heavier but it is now pretty well protected. I wish that there was a way to turn off some of the built in apps like the world clock. I don't need that app as well as a few others. I just put them away on a separate page. One thing at a time. I did get set up with the app store and iTunes and set up my PayPal account as well. I'm having fun with it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, many of the native apps can not be deleted. They are built into iOS. Even for the ones that can be deleted, it isn’t always a good idea. For instance, Mail can be deleted, but since it is the default email client (and you can’t change that) you’ll end up getting notifications every time you try to email something from another app.

The Clock app is also has alarms, a timer, and a stopwatch. Maybe not often, but every now and then you may find you’re glad it’s there.

Most reactions

Latest posts