What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the difference between a iPad and tablet.?

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there really a difference between a iPad and a tablet and what is the difference? I would like to here your thoughts and comments about this.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK Thomas - I'll bite - :rolleyes: See the pic below for a definition of 'tablet' from a google search - :D

BUT - I'm assuming that you mean a 'tablet computer' - a generic term as defined below, which includes an iPad - so, do you have a more specific question(s) - Dave :)

A tablet computer, commonly shortened to tablet, is a thin, flat mobile computer with a touchscreen display, which is usually in color, processing circuitry, and a rechargeable battery in a single device. Tablets often come equipped with sensors, including digital cameras, a microphone, and an accelerometer, so that images on screens are always displayed upright. The touchscreen display uses the recognition of finger or stylus gestures to replace the mouse, trackpad and keyboard used in laptops (Source).
Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 6.36.44 PM.png

OP
Thomas1977

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know what a iPad is I have a mini 2. But what I was trying to get at is the diiference between the iPad name besides Apple and a tablet.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know what a iPad is I have a mini 2. But what I was trying to get at is the diiference between the iPad name besides Apple and a tablet.

Well, check the Wiki link given in my previous post - amazing how many other terms have been invented, based in part on the size of the screen - e.g. phablet - maybe the size between an iPhone and your iPad Mini - now there is the larger 12.9" iPad Pro, i.e. screen size like the the smaller Mac laptops - SO, possibly a lapblet? The future of these devices and what comes out 'in the wash' will be interesting - :) Dave

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've always thought of the word "Tablet" as a generic term for a non-PC type computing thing which could be an I-Pad, Andriod device or something like a Microsoft Surface.

OP
Thomas1977

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
it could also be a pill. as I gotta take a tablet for my low thyroid and my high blood pressure every morning.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What's the difference between a car and an automobile. :)

As indicated above, there are many definitions. But, in computing terms, a tablet is a thin computing device that you can hold in your hand.

They've been around for quite a few years, but Apple made the tablet mainstream when it introduced the Air.

See -> iPad: how Apple started a tablet revolution

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.........As indicated above, there are many definitions. But, in computing terms, a tablet is a thin computing device that you can hold in your hand.

They've been around for quite a few years, but Apple made the tablet mainstream when it introduced the Air.................

Well, Apple certainly dominated the 'tablet market' in the first years of this decade (see first graph), but in recent years its share of the market has deteriorated (second graph) - I've not even tried other 'tablets' (wife had a nook for a short time), but will be interesting to observe these trends in the next few years. Dave :)
bii-sai-cotd-tablet-marketshare-1.png

IDCtabs0217chart.png

OP
Thomas1977

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even before the iPad there was something called the palm pilot a pda device made by us robotics in 1997.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even before the iPad there was something called the palm .

Thomas - I went through probably 3 versions of the Palm Pilot, like the one below - forget exactly which ones, but used for contacts, databases, and other functions, including even able to get online; and had the plastic stylus. Dave :)
060321_PalmPilot_vmed.grid-4x2.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The first Blackberry product was the Blackberry 850 from 1999, an interactive pager with limited email and web browsing capability. It did not have phone capabilities but did have cellular data capability.
The history of BlackBerry: in pictures
View attachment 76197

Boy, my Palm days - just reviewing the history HERE - cannot remember the year of my first Palm Pilot (maybe late 90s?) - probably went through at least 3 different models - recall the monochrome screen, the graffiti writing, and the dialup modem attachment - then onto color screens - was a remarkable little machine for its time - believe replaced w/ an iPod Touch 2G that was given to me by my son (still use it for my MP3 music) - Dave :)

Most reactions