What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best text to speech.

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am looking for a good text to speech for my ipad one that I can run in the background and just read from the screen in any application. I can only find those where I have to copy and paste text first, is there anything out there that will meet my requirements.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into Settings Accessibility and tap Voice Over and set it up the way you want. I find it to be a PITA and very annoying, I'm sure there are better ones out there, go into iTunes App store and search for "text to speech" there are several listed. "Web Reader HD" sounds good and has good ratings.

Last edited:
OP
saphire

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Pocobear, I also hate the voice over I am looking for something better.
All the ones on itunes you have to copy any text and paste it into the program to read. I really want one that I can just open a file such as pdf or doc files and press read. I am partially sighted so copying and pasting is very hard to do.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Web Reader HD says on the Apple Apps store that you can read pdf's and websites with or without copy and paste, your choice. It doesn't do e-books though.:)

dingoshark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a good text to speech for my ipad one that I can run in the background and just read from the screen in any application. I can only find those where I have to copy and paste text first, is there anything out there that will meet my requirements.

This app can read your PDF and Word files from your dropbox account so that you always can listen to the latest version of your files :eek:
www DOT speakomat DOT com
Not sure if it is available for the iPad but it seem to be for the iPhone.

iamdifabled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This app can read your PDF and Word files from your dropbox account so that you always can listen to the latest version of your files :eek:
www DOT speakomat DOT com
Not sure if it is available for the iPad but it seem to be for the iPhone.

This App looks promising.... $19.99 is a bit steep though. To date there are no reviews on the Canadian App Store. Has anyone actually tested it who can provide some unbiased user driven feedback?

Thanks.

thomaswoodlick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is lots of text to speech programs out there. You have to try The Fat Finger text to speech app for your ipad. This app is providing clear voices what ever you have typed. Try this one:rolleyes:

thomaswoodlick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I was in the same condition before getting this app. It is really an amazing app for ipad and iphones. I have an iphone 4s and I'm using The fat finger app its a text to speech program and working fabulous. You should download this app from app store. I am not doing any promotion, I'm just sharing my experience with you.

Benoibe1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am interested in text to speech apps. I want to use it for Ebooks. So far the very best app I've found is called Voice Dream. It works well with PDF Ebooks, and a few other formats as well.
I'm using IPad third gen, and have tried the built-in auto-speak. It is not specially made for Ebooks or texts; it speaks everything you touch, and changes the way the iPad functions. I was not impressed.

While Voice Dream is excellent for the voices and reading, it is difficult to find PDF files of the books I'd like to hear, which aren't in public domain. I've purchased Ebooks on google, iTunes and Kindle for iPad, but none of these let me to transfer the file. Now that I have a great speech app, it's difficult to get the books.

Maybe this can be done very easily from a computer, but I use my iPad for everything.

I highly recommend Voice Dream though. I've tried the text reader on my actual Kindle, and it is not good at all. I think you'll be impressed with the Voice Dream app (in App Store). But let me know if you find a place to purchase Ebooks in PDF.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts