What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the Best Ipad bluetooth keyboard??

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the apple wireless keyboard and the Origami case for it.

Are you referring to the 'regular' wireless Apple keyboard? I ask this because, just tonight, I visited Walmart to see what they had in wireless/Bluetooth keyboards. They were very limited in what they had, and the only one that really shined was the Apple keyboard, for $69.99. I was ready to purchase, but the employee who assisted me (though very nice) didn't know if it would actually work with the IPad. Of course, I could have bought it and returned the device if, in fact, it did not work for me, without any issue. But I thought it best to wait until I found out for sure.

I don't care to get into the all-in-one offerings (portfolio case with integrated keyboard), because I already have a nice Yoobao portfolio case that I love. All i need, now, is just a wireless keyboard to pair with my IPad1.

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Apple Store (U.S.)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... I visited Walmart to see what they had in wireless/Bluetooth keyboards. They were very limited in what they had, and the only one that really shined was the Apple keyboard, for $69.99. I was ready to purchase, but the employee who assisted me (though very nice) didn't know if it would actually work with the IPad. Of course, I could have bought it and returned the device if, in fact, it did not work for me, without any issue. But I thought it best to wait until I found out for sure...

As I recall there was some discussion of an older model of the Apple bluetooth keyboard not working with the iPad. However, the model sold by Walmart (and everyone else these days) works quite well.

Another less expensive option is the Microsoft 6000 portable keyboard available from Amazon for $30. It works very well, has slightly larger keys than the AWK, and a curved form factor that is more ergonomic for extensive typing. A bit wider than the AWK which may be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your point of view. It's still quite portable.

Many folks, myself included, have the Incase Origami Workstation to use in conjunction with the Apple Wireless Keyboard. It's a protective case for the keyboard that "unfolds" into a stand for iPad. There are many references to it on this board.

Last edited:

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
... I visited Walmart to see what they had in wireless/Bluetooth keyboards. They were very limited in what they had, and the only one that really shined was the Apple keyboard, for $69.99. I was ready to purchase, but the employee who assisted me (though very nice) didn't know if it would actually work with the IPad. Of course, I could have bought it and returned the device if, in fact, it did not work for me, without any issue. But I thought it best to wait until I found out for sure...

As I recall there was some discussion of an older model of the Apple bluetooth keyboard not working with the iPad. However, the model sold by Walmart (and everyone else these days) works quite well.

Another less expensive option is the Microsoft 6000 portable keyboard available from Amazon for $30. It works very well, has slightly larger keys than the AWK, and a curved form factor that is more ergonomic for extensive typing. A bit wider than the AWK which may be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your point of view. It's still quite portable.

Many folks, myself included, have the Incase Origami Workstation to use in conjunction with the Apple Wireless Keyboard. It's a protective case for the keyboard that "unfolds" into a stand for iPad. There are many references to it on this board.

Thanks.

Actually, I had hoped that there was an AWK knockoff floating around out there, somewhere. If there was, I am sure that it would have been much cheaper than the Apple original. But I may just have to focus on the AWK, as it is the best constructed keyboard that I have seen, to date.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
Thanks.

Actually, I had hoped that there was an AWK knockoff floating around out there, somewhere. If there was, I am sure that it would have been much cheaper than the Apple original. But I may just have to focus on the AWK, as it is the best constructed keyboard that I have seen, to date.

And if you did find one much cheaper don't expect the quality to be anywhere near as good. You could also keep an eye on the Apple Refurb section of their store site, you can generally get a few $ off the price of a new one if they have any.

The Archangel

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not many knockoffs of most Apple products. They have an army of lawyers devoted to preventing that.

You're right about the construction of the AWK. I like it very much.

But for what it's worth, the Microsoft keyboard, though plastic rather than metal, is very, very durable. I've been using one for a couple of years with my laptop and it has survived a lot of travel and abuse. And the ergonomic curve of the keyboard really does help with wrist fatigue if you're typing a lot. Further, though the Msoft keyboard is wider than the AWK, it's also thinner and packs very well. Finally, as good as the key action of the AWK is, the Microsoft's is better (imo).

The only real disadvantage of the Microsoft Keyboard is that it won't work with the Origami Workstation. It doesn't have the Apple specific "command" and "option" keys, but the iPad doesn't use those anyway. So unless you want to use the keyboard with a MacBook or specifically want to use the Incase Origami Workstation, I'd say it's a better keyboard at a much cheaper price.

Krick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Joy Factory Arpeggio, which I've mentioned on this forum previously, is my favorite so far.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Are you referring to the 'regular' wireless Apple keyboard? I ask this because, just tonight, I visited Walmart to see what they had in wireless/Bluetooth keyboards. They were very limited in what they had, and the only one that really shined was the Apple keyboard, for $69.99. I was ready to purchase, but the employee who assisted me (though very nice) didn't know if it would actually work with the IPad. Of course, I could have bought it and returned the device if, in fact, it did not work for me, without any issue. But I thought it best to wait until I found out for sure.

I don't care to get into the all-in-one offerings (portfolio case with integrated keyboard), because I already have a nice Yoobao portfolio case that I love. All i need, now, is just a wireless keyboard to pair with my IPad1.

I also have the Yoobao case that I love. I went to the Apple.com store to purchase a keyboard for ipad 2, but their ipad keyboards list in the minimum requirements that I need a mac. I don't have a mac, only a pc. So what are my options. A note by the dock/keyboard accessory says it is not compatible with iPad 2, so that is out as well.

I really just want a small, reasonably priced keyboard, that works well with my iPad 2.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I also have the Yoobao case that I love. I went to the Apple.com store to purchase a keyboard for ipad 2, but their ipad keyboards list in the minimum requirements that I need a mac. I don't have a mac, only a pc. So what are my options. A note by the dock/keyboard accessory says it is not compatible with iPad 2, so that is out as well.

I really just want a small, reasonably priced keyboard, that works well with my iPad 2.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If you're talking about this keyboard, you don't need a Mac:

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Apple Store (U.S.)

It works with an iPad OR a Mac, as specified.

I don't have a Mac, either. I use this keyboard with my iPad 1 and 2.

There are plenty of keyboard options, though. You can read this thread or search Amazon, for starters.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:eek:

Geesh, sorry...when I read the list of requirements, I thought it meant I needed everything on the list. I had searched through this forum and based on what others wrote, I thought that keyboard would be one to consider. Nice to know that it is still an option. I appreciate the information. Thanks again, love forums!
Minimum System Requirements

• iPad
  • Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with Mac OS X v10.6.8 or late and existing keyboard and mouse for initial setup
  • Two AA batteries (included)
  • Some function keys designed for use on the Mac will not work on iPad.

vinho1976

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple wireless keyboard

Is the apple wireless keyboard the best keyboard for ipad? Kind of pricie...any more affordable suggestions?

Chrisipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vinho1976 said:
Is the apple wireless keyboard the best keyboard for ipad? Kind of pricie...any more affordable suggestions?

I think it is good for using with the ipad as long as you have a stand or a cover that is able to hold your ipad in a decent position for typing. Not sure about any other keyboards though as i havent used any others with my ipad.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had entered into this thread with concerns regarding the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. But, just today, I happened across a different unit that appealed to me. It is the Logitech Tablet Keyboard, which sold for $69.99. I had refunded a two year protection plan on a newly purchased monitor (figuring if it held up throughout the manufacturer's 1yr warranty, I should be good to go).

So I purchased this keyboard, and have to say that I really like it. The pairing procedure is quick, and without event. It also seems to be quite steady about holding the connection. It came with a hard, plastic slip-in cover, which not only offers a degree of protection, but doubles as a stand for one's tablet.

Nice investment.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had entered into this thread with concerns regarding the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. But, just today, I happened across a different unit that appealed to me. It is the Logitech Tablet Keyboard, which sold for $69.99. I had refunded a two year protection plan on a newly purchased monitor (figuring if it held up throughout the manufacturer's 1yr warranty, I should be good to go).

So I purchased this keyboard, and have to say that I really like it. The pairing procedure is quick, and without event. It also seems to be quite steady about holding the connection. It came with a hard, plastic slip-in cover, which not only offers a degree of protection, but doubles as a stand for one's tablet.

Nice investment.

I liked the design of that one a lot, but opted for the Apple one only because it seemed to be one-third or one-half of the weight. I was surprised and asked the sales guy why. He joked that the Logictech one must be made out of lead.

Most reactions

Latest posts