What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best ipad 2 note taking apps

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought Notes Plus on sale and found it's interface annoying. For example, It requires too many unintuitive screen gestures for basic functions. I switched to Note Taker HD, watched the YouTube video to get started, and am totally satisfied. The latest release adds folders.

I'm keeping an eye on Notes Plus because the developer is talking about an add-in for handwriting recognition. After many years with a Palm I do miss that!

+1 I spent quite a bit of time trying to use Notes Plus and no matter how much I tried, a pen and legal pad still beat it in terms of efficiency and ease of use. Been using Note Taker HD for a few weeks and have found the user interface considerably more intuitive.

Have to say, though, that apart from the novelty of these apps, I've not found anything (sadly) that competes with a pen and paper. Another poster mentioned that he continues to use the old low tech solution and then takes a photo of his page of notes. Not nearly as sexy an approach but I strongly suspect he spends less time and captures information more efficiently than using any note taking app.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose the utility depends on a variety of factors. For example, I have a set of notebooks where I've kept a record of teas that I've bought, how I've steeped them, etc. If this sounds weird then sub wine for tea. Anyway, the notebooks are in chronological order so If I'm looking for info about a particular tea from last year I need to read through the book until I find the best brewing parameters, etc. This year with Notetaker HD with tags and typed titles and folders I can keep an ongoing record of each tea, and find a record quickly when I need it. I was originally going to build a database, and while this isn't as searchable as a database it's more relaxing to use.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with above comments. No device can beat pen and paper for taking notes. It is just so much faster and efficient :)

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me it's not really a matter of surpassing, it's about the added benefit of them being synced, carried and editable with my everyday device/computer/PIM. I achieved a near facsimile when it was needed, and I came out convinced the inking experience was very competent.

trok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like iPen. You can use both keyboard and pen and you classes are categorized

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like iPen. You can use both keyboard and pen and you classes are categorized

Just to be clear, several note taking apps support both "pen" and keyboard entry. It's really a matter of the priority given to each. Notes Plus and Note Taker HD, for example, tend to prioritize handwriting but allow keyboard entry as well. On the other hand, Notability prioritizes keyboard entry but allows handwriting (and other figures) to be inserted in a note.

trok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear, several note taking apps support both "pen" and keyboard entry. It's really a matter of the priority given to each. Notes Plus and Note Taker HD, for example, tend to prioritize handwriting but allow keyboard entry as well. On the other hand, Notability prioritizes keyboard entry but allows handwriting (and other figures) to be inserted in a note.

Hmm I haven't tried any other note taking app, how do you mean "of the priority"? In iPen you just tap the button to change from keyboard to pen. I don't use the pen for writing words, I type faster with the keyboard I only use the pen for graphs or other "figures".

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but can anyone tell me if there is an app that allows iPad to play PowerPoint presentations?
Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts