What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best ipad 2 note taking apps

gurojee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the best note taking apps for ipad 2? I want to take notes using stylus.

Cheers

GJ

Last edited:

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPad is the best option out of many right now. It combines features with silky smooth inking. I buy just about every one that comes out, but that's still king.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another vote for UPAD. It is still better than Noteshelf, Notetaker HD and Notes Plus.

Others may have more features, but UPAD's handwriting looks far better than all of them.

krysia27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bamboo made by Wacom really shows my true handwriting. No jagged edges.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Bamboo in it's current status for me is too basic. In fact it's very basic. But, probably has the nicest freehand writing algorithms around.

I love notes plus, but find it's handwriting too scruffy.

I also love upad, but it's filing system isn't sufficient for me. You can't file together notes from the 3 of it's major modes in the same place. A major downfall.

I'll be trying penultimate next

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't really argue with that breakdown though I think UPad makes the best compromise. Notes Plus developer said a few months back that he was totally redoing the engine on the app to solve the smoothness issue, but I've heard nothing since then. It sells so well I can't imagine it's an easy decision to start over.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Well, I've been playing more over night with upad and found that you can basically do all what the 3 different modes give you all in the same first main mode.

So i think i'll be using this from now on. I'll see how it gets on.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to start sounding like a salesman or anything, I bought the app, but UPad has both palm protection and the input box. It just has far better inking, without artifacts or rendering issues. I took a ton of real world notes with it when I transferred to a new position at work and it left a great impression.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought Notes Plus on sale and found it's interface annoying. For example, It requires too many unintuitive screen gestures for basic functions. I switched to Note Taker HD, watched the YouTube video to get started, and am totally satisfied. The latest release adds folders.

I'm keeping an eye on Notes Plus because the developer is talking about an add-in for handwriting recognition. After many years with a Palm I do miss that!

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try WritePad, it's a pretty great recognition engine. It's been licensed by a couple other apps as well. It's really better than you would think for how little you hear about the tech.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that's the program that Notes Plus is licensing. It's actually more of an issue with the IPod than the IPad because of the small screen. In Note Taker HD in addition to the typed titles and folders there are tags, so my text searching needs are met.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried it again since it showed up with the radically new icon, I look forward to it. I don't think people know how good inking is on the device because it isn't systemwide and apple doesn't like that aspect.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've used Notes Plus, Upad, neu.Notes, Penultimate and Note Taker HD (NTHD).

NTHD is the best by far, imo.I use it extensively every day to prepare notes that are projected onto a classroom whiteboard. I also use it on the fly, instead of a board and marker. I really appreciate it's ability to add pics, shapes and text as well as handwritten notes.

NTHD gets more and more intuitive with each regular update; the last few updates have been real corkers. All this ease of use is due to in no small part to the experience of its author, Dan Bricklin, who wrote the first spreadsheet program, Visicalc back in the seventies.

Yes, I guess there is a learning curve, but the help documentation and videos are excellent.

I agree that Upad has got very nice ink, but NTHD's is just about as good as Upad's, especially since the last update. And features-wise, NTHD makes Upad look like a toy.

Last edited:

Most reactions