What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is preference loader?

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a very dumb question, what is preference loader? I've been having some crash problems with my iDevice and I tried turning off some mobile substrate tweaks through sbsettings and it appears to be working better but still some apps crash so I'm thinking that the more tweaks I turn off the better it should get and the only thing left now is preference loader. I was wondering what does this tweak do? I think that it doesn't have to be installed or maybe it comes with some other tweak like sbsettings. I did some research to find out what it does but came up empty handed, I'd greatly appreciate anyone that can help me and I'll be very grateful as always. Thanks a lot in advance

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From Cydia: "PreferenceLoader is a MobileSubstrate based utility that allows developers to add entries to the Settings app, similar to the SettingsBundles that App Store apps use."

In other words, Cydia tweaks use PreferenceLoader so that they can have their settings and control panels in the Settings app, just like Safari, Notes, other apps, etc.

That help?

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And just to add my own 2c... :D

You should not be in a situation where "the more tweaks you turn off the better things get". This indicates you have one or more tweaks running on your iPad which are not designed for it. If you are experiencing regular crashes, reboot, or trips to safe mode, then you need to identify which tweaks should not be on your device and get them off of there completely! ;) Under normal circumstances a jailbroken device should be perfectly stable and you should not have to put up with any adverse effects.

But, PreferenceLoader is a fundamental component of most tweaks (to enable them to use the Settings app) and so should be left on there!

Last edited:
OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Marilyn and f4780y, I'll keep it on ;) f4780y unfortunately I know that I have some tweak that aren't working properly (I think some are old and not updated anymore), I tried to turn all off and many many apps still crash, I didn't try deleting them because it was faster to turn them off through sbsettings and I think (although not sure) the result is the same? I'm not experiencing other crash problems, only apps crash. I'm eagerly waiting the jailbreak for ios 6.1 so that I can maybe fix this problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts