What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it?

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Beautiful. I believe I caught part of that mini-series. He had built an accurate clock out of wood in his barn.

He also invented the Grasshopper clock escapement.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What is this?

What its it used for (part of).

Where would you find it (or one like it); in a general sort of way?

DSC00468.jpg

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like an ocean data buoy,used to collect data on the water and air where it is floating.They are used to gather data for weather prediction,the study of ocean currents and water temperature.They come in moored and free floating versions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_buoy

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Close. This one is more specific, and not science or weather related; at least not directly. The squarish part to the left is the sensor platform, and rests on the ocean floor.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's it. The picture shows the USCSG Healy servicing one of buoys off the North American north west coast. I was asked to take pictures and video, documenting the task for later analysis.

Your turn.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's an easy one.
What are we looking at here?What is it used for?Tell me something about the manufacturer.

image-2548011613.jpg

image-570284424.jpg

image-3730485423.jpg

image-2671662930.jpg

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No,Admiral,it has nothing to do with caulking,although you do have the correct manufacturer.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a complete tool,I bought it when I was in the navy.(Hint,here)

image-115592706.jpg

Last edited:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
I found a page from a Drew & Co., back catalogue that describes a "navy pattern marlin spike" but there is no corresponding picture.

There is a copyrighted image of a marlin spike with a lanyard attached to it. It looks similar to yours.

The Marlinspike is used to unlay rope, untie knots and splice rope. There's a reference to it being used to "form a toggle (for releasing ropes joined under tension such as with a belaying pin splice), or forming a makeshift handle."
(sourced Wiki).

It's usually 6 to 12 inches long but can be twice that length or longer - depending on the ply and length of the rope it is being used on.

It's made from metal, usually iron or steel. It may be issued as a separate tool or as part of a kit.

There's a reference to sailors who become skilled using the tool being calked "Marlin Spikes." The associated knowledge that includes knotting and splicing is called marlinespike seamanship.

AA

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The challenge is well and truly won,the reward is Yours,Admiral.
Send us on the next quest in search of the answers you need.

Last edited:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
I need some winks. This is an easy one I'm sure but in a world where entertainment requires power, this might not be familiar to some folks.
Just looking for what the article is and how it's used.
AA
image-459222654.jpg

Asleep for 5 hours. Please proceed with game play if you're certain you have the answer.
If you're wrong and go ahead, I've got a galley full of potatoes that need peeling. ;)

AA

Most reactions