What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is happening to my beloved ipad?

ejbpesca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 32gb 3G
GarageBand
Photoshop touch
Few game apps

Memory capacity says I'm just above half way mark but this machine has changed. Even the smallest email takes a while to send as opposed to instant.

I get an ad along with my opportunity to trade in my iPad for the New IPad, not iPad 3 as expected, just as the problems starts.

I really depend on this thing now. Between photos and music files it is my little life but, it seems to be slowing down, down, down.

I still have 10 gigs of mem left yet this thing is acting as if it were totally overloaded.

Was it photoshop touch that did it? Just got it a week ago.

Can anyone relate?

I can return to processing my photos on my laptop, but I must have GarageBand for performances.

Thought I could do it all with this sliver of glass and steel, but maybe not.

Is it the RAM being over half gone is why so slow? If so, I will do the trade in to Best Buy and get me a 64gb.

Any advice is very welcomed.
Jb

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you're confusing RAM with storage, but you shouldn't be experiencing these probs.

Sounds like your iPad might have something corrupted. Might want to back up, wipe your iPad and restore. If that doesn't work (because backup might be corrupt, too) you might need to wipe your iPad and start from scratch.

My iPad 1 and 2 are working great on iOS 5.1. Much improved over iOS 5 and 5.0.1, when I saw many RAM-related crashes, especially on iPad 1. On iOS 5.1, my iPad 1 and 2 are working as smoothly as when I originally got them. Both of mine are 64GB and nearly full, but that's separate from RAM.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds as if you need to reset the iPad. It's nothing wrong, it's just that the iPad IS a computer and needs a reboot every now and then.

So, try these steps in order to see if this helps:

1) Reveal the multi-tasking bar by either swiping up with 4/5 fingers or double pressing the Home button. Once it's revealed, press an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red minus sign in the upper left of each icon. Press on the red minus for every icon until they are all gone from that multi-tasking bar. Don't worry, you aren't deleting the apps...

Then, do one (or both) of the following:

2) Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

3) Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Usually, the slowness is worked out after step two. But, sometimes, people have to do step three also.

I hoppe this fixes your issue. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

P.S. The RAM is temporary memory (your iPad2 has a lot - 512k) and it does get bogged down sometimes - which is what the steps above are for, to clear it. However, it is separate memory from your storage memory (your 32GB, of which you have 10GB left). They are not the same memory and storage memory has nothing to do with RAM or with why your iPad2 appears to be slowing down. Just FYI...

maleaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get a harddrive and memory optimizer app -- they help

Most reactions

Latest posts