What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is everyone doing that they can't seem to put down their iPads?

OP
diannenet

diannenet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.speedyspetparadise.weebly.com
MattIM said:
A little advice--hope you don't mind...Get an app like Download Meter that tells you how much data service you use each day. If you don't have it, get the IPad Forums app--this uses less data service to view the forums than going to Safari and accessing the forum via browser. The IPAD forums app shows very few ads and less maintenance graphics, ergo less data to stream. You might want to restrict just surfing the internet or iTunes for the latest and greatest as this activity uses a lot of data. If you find an app while in the 'boonies' that you want to download, you might have to wait for wifi service as there is a limit to how much data you can download while on 3G. Same for getting notification for any updates...all use the data, so consider turning off push notifications that are nice to know but not critical.

Anticipate what pdf's, movies, music, videos or books you will want to have with you before you go. If you download these files while on 3G you will run out of data. Note: if you download a book in iBooks, this app seems to use more data than if you download the same book in Kindle.

Finally, get the Wikihood app, it can tell you about points of interest in the area you are visiting. Get the Gas Buddy app as it will tell you where the cheapest gas can be found in the location you are in. Get the Urbanspoon app as it will give you ideas on restaurants. Get a weather app as it will give you an idea of your environment. Need to know where you are? The map app that came with your iPad gives you a lot of information.

All of these apps work great on the road BUT all require data services. I was recently on a 10 day vacation and I found myself relying on my iPad to get around Nashville, Tn, Fort Lauderdale and Miami and less on using the iPad as a source of entertainment. YMMV and have a GREAT and SAFE campout!

Matt, thanks so much for all the great advice and app suggestions. I have several weather apps and the gas buddy app. I will definitely go look for the others.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:
Check in at iPad Forums.
Play Backgammon.
.:D

I have been looking for a good Backgammon app! Which one do you use?
I'm at work. iPad is at home.:( I'll see if I can get hold of my wife or I'll post back when I get home tonight. Sorry, I don't remember the specific one I have. I like it a lot though.

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
We're going to be driving up to and in San Francisco at the end of July as well as spending a few days in Alaska in early August. I have downloaded most of these apps and I'm going to look forward to the backgammon game as well.

Great suggestions. Maybe we need a travel thread.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The thing is that the iPad can do a lot, it's mobile and gives you access to information in a few seconds, almost instantly. Let's say that you want to check your emails. With a laptop or desktop computer, you will have to boot the device, wait a bit, login into your desktop, start your mail app or your browser then to the reading. Overall, you will have waited up to 5 minutes, sometimes more depending on your computer speed to do this task. On the iPad, click on the wakeup button, and look at the mail app icon to see if there is something new. If it is the case, click on the mail app icon and do the reading... Overall time to get there is 5-10 seconds...

With an iPad, you don't worry about time cause you can do it right away, not just when you'll have some free time. Added to that, you can do it on the sofa, in the garden, even when walking around the house. With a laptop, you can walk around, but you cannot hold it with one hand, put it on a pile of stuff in case it fells down, etc...

It's now about great apps or great games, it about right here, right now. You cannot do this with a desktop computer, and with a laptop, it's not as handy.

I can fit my iPad in almost anything if I want it with me on the road, I can use it with one hand, I can use it all day before charging the battery, it's lightweight, no moving parts, great screen, always fast (anyway, almost ;) )...

Since it's so convenient, people do keep it around, use it often and use it for a tons of tasks.

In the morning, I read the news, have a look at my emails and forums
In the day, I can check some information, do some readings, some writing, check my schedules, manage my calendar and contacts...
In the evening, i'll watch some shows, movies, prepare my schedule for the next day, plan a trip, play a game, keep in touch with my family, etc...

I'm not using a computer anymore, but just getting my stuff done, where I want, when I want. The iPad, or any tablets are not toys, but devices integrated into our life like the telephone, the fridge or your car. But your car is only meant for transportation and your telephone is only meant for talking... The iPad can dome more than one thing, for working, for entertainment or for organizing our busy life.

My 2 cents

VicoPad addict!

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same as everyone I guess. I do a lot of reading on my iPad, as well as check emails and surf the Internet, which, for some reason, I actually find it more fun than surfing the Internet on a laptop. Sometimes I game too, but not as much as I used to. The majority of my gaming is done on the laptop.

When I'm out and there's no internet access, I read and listen to music. Very helpful on those long train rides!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
At the moment, the Just Mobile Alupen feels good. However, if you haven't used any of the others, the Alupen is likely to feel huge. Overall though, if I had to choose one from the ones I have (Targus, Boxwave, Alupen), I think that that would be it.

I use the targus and love it. 9 out of 10 stylus pens will deliver the same experience, however some will wear before others:)

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
Sorry, did I miss it? Which backgammon app are you using?

Oops. I guess someone deleted the good one. The app is Backgammon HD by Trivial Technologies..

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
I don't think Mac is supported yet. If I'm wrong I'd suggest Splashtop for sure .
Though Team Viewer is an awesome app as well, sound transfer doesn't work right.

FYI, I have Splashtop on Mac mini running 10.6.7, tied to this iPad2: MotherShip and Scotty. Splashtop runs on OS 10.6+.

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
I don't think Mac is supported yet. If I'm wrong I'd suggest Splashtop for sure .
Though Team Viewer is an awesome app as well, sound transfer doesn't work right.

FYI, I have Splashtop on Mac mini running 10.6.7, tied to this iPad2: MotherShip and Scotty. Splashtop runs on OS 10.6+.

I meant the away from the home network option. Sorry. Wasn't more clear.
Are you saying it does work away from the home network on Mac OS?

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

triny89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay safari all day goofing around on random websites, I also use zen sketch, garage band, Netflix, edit a lot of photos with PS Express, and of course checking my email all the time. I think my pc has been collecting a lot of dust. I don't play any games on my iPad. I'm 22 m, any game recommendations anyone?

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
triny89 said:
Okay safari all day goofing around on random websites, I also use zen sketch, garage band, Netflix, edit a lot of photos with PS Express, and of course checking my email all the time. I think my pc has been collecting a lot of dust. I don't play any games on my iPad. I'm 22 m, any game recommendations anyone?

Depends on what you like in terms of games. However a few of my favs are; Fieldrunners, plants vs zombies, pocket god, words with friends, any big fish games, Inc. Will b fun, 95% of them have 5 star reviews.

Most reactions

Latest posts