What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is everyone doing that they can't seem to put down their iPads?

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I control the tv using the Verizon FIOS app. Works well. I believe there is an optimum online app as well.

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Use Splashtop to access your desktop from your Ipad. :D
If it's a Mac use Team Viewer.

Mark, why do you not recommend Splashtop for the Mac? Or did I read it wrong?

Splash top currently on sale in the App Store.

MomoMan83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lately I've been playing around with various art/drawing apps. Inkpad is great for vector drawing I really like Sketchbook Pro for normal drawing and painting. I'm very much a beginner in the art area but it's just fun to play around with in my free time. I'm also a gamer and use it for web browsing, shopping eBay, watching video clips, etc. No productivity going on here. :p

starwolf1336

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best thing of all...watching Netflix movies sitting next to my husband who is watching sports on TV!!!:)

I agree, Netflix is awesome to have on it. Sometimes its easier to just turn on the Ipad instead of having to boot up my Beast Desktop. *saves on the electric bill*

idarkstarguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't put down my iPad because I always check my emails on it. Also I like reading books when i use underground. And I play-play-play. Games for iPad is so addictive for me :)

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Use Splashtop to access your desktop from your Ipad. :D
If it's a Mac use Team Viewer.

Mark, why do you not recommend Splashtop for the Mac? Or did I read it wrong?

Splash top currently on sale in the App Store.

I don't think Mac is supported yet. If I'm wrong I'd suggest Splashtop for sure .
Though Team Viewer is an awesome app as well, sound transfer doesn't work right.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check out Star Walk for a reason to use your Ipad outside on a clear night and NASA to use anytime inside or out .
Support Our Troops!!

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Check out Star Walk for a reason to use your Ipad outside on a clear night and NASA to use anytime inside or out .
Support Our Troops!!

Does Star walk require 3G model iPad?

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check in at iPad Forums.
Check other forums I belong to.
Check email.
Check various sites for the news of the day.
Play Backgammon.
Search for and download new apps.
Listen to music while doing all of the above.
Watch Netflix while my wife watches anything but sports.:D

Last edited:

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wake up and check my emails in bed.
Read the news on the Australian newspaper apps.
Check out the forum replies,
Check out the days forecast for weather on another app.
Have a half hour read on kindle app.
Maybe check out a latest release book.
Last email check then up.
All that in the first hour.
Amazing.
Then put on the charged for a while ,get a few jobs done.
Check out my recipes for inspiration for the day.
A quick re check of updates iTunes,emails and news from around the world.
Getting the idea.......
Joined at the hip with my iPad

OP
diannenet

diannenet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.speedyspetparadise.weebly.com
These are all great answers. It sounds like I'm doing pretty much what everyone else is doing. This weekend will be the real test.....I will need to turn on my 3G as we are going camping (NOT in a tent!) and I can't get WiFi out in the boonies. I will be checking the iPad Forum, checking personal and work emails, surfing the net, logging on iTunes to see the latest and greatest apps for the iPad.

So maybe this weekend I too will be joined at the hip with my iPad. Love seeing all the responses!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do everything I did before iPad: read books, surf the Internet, read online news, watch movies, listen to music and audiobooks, check email, take notes, do banking, manage investments and such -- except now I do them all on iPad, which I can tote around almost anywhere.

I even read long attachments from work and financial dealings on iPad. I've been signing legal documents with my finger and using iPad's camera as a scanner of sorts, too.

On trips, I use a bunch of apps that make life a lot more convenient.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...I will need to turn on my 3G as we are going camping (NOT in a tent!) and I can't get WiFi out in the boonies. I will be checking the iPad Forum, checking personal and work emails, surfing the net, logging on iTunes to see the latest and greatest apps for the iPad.

So maybe this weekend I too will be joined at the hip with my iPad. Love seeing all the responses!

A little advice--hope you don't mind...Get an app like Download Meter that tells you how much data service you use each day. If you don't have it, get the IPad Forums app--this uses less data service to view the forums than going to Safari and accessing the forum via browser. The IPAD forums app shows very few ads and less maintenance graphics, ergo less data to stream. You might want to restrict just surfing the internet or iTunes for the latest and greatest as this activity uses a lot of data. If you find an app while in the 'boonies' that you want to download, you might have to wait for wifi service as there is a limit to how much data you can download while on 3G. Same for getting notification for any updates...all use the data, so consider turning off push notifications that are nice to know but not critical.

Anticipate what pdf's, movies, music, videos or books you will want to have with you before you go. If you download these files while on 3G you will run out of data. Note: if you download a book in iBooks, this app seems to use more data than if you download the same book in Kindle.

Finally, get the Wikihood app, it can tell you about points of interest in the area you are visiting. Get the Gas Buddy app as it will tell you where the cheapest gas can be found in the location you are in. Get the Urbanspoon app as it will give you ideas on restaurants. Get a weather app as it will give you an idea of your environment. Need to know where you are? The map app that came with your iPad gives you a lot of information.

All of these apps work great on the road BUT all require data services. I was recently on a 10 day vacation and I found myself relying on my iPad to get around Nashville, Tn, Fort Lauderdale and Miami and less on using the iPad as a source of entertainment. YMMV and have a GREAT and SAFE campout!

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Support Our Troops!!

Does Star walk require 3G model iPad?

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Yes and no. On my wifi only it tracked pretty well as long as in range of my home router (used its position to locate me but required me to figure 8 my Ipad first) but my 3g model works anywhere without calibrating the Ipad at start up (figure 8s).
I've read only good things about a GPS unit called Bad Elf but my screen shattered before I could try one. Target was sold out of wifi only models so they exchanged it for a 3g model.
Navionics is another great app for boaters and fishermen. It needs GPS to work right as well though.

Support Our Troops!!

Most reactions

Latest posts