What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a restriction's code

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have upgraded my I pad 2 to the latest ISO 7.0.4, but I have been having keyboard problems, after seeking online advice
I was advised to do Reset,tried but I am presented with a code input box ? For restriction's code which I have never heard of. The only code we set up with the new ios upgrade was the input code each time it's used. This is not what is required.
All this said now what do I do ? Is this yet another Apple ploy to get more money out of me.
Regards
Brian

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Restriction code is optional. It's for the parental control settings. You'll find it under Settings > General > Restrictions.

Personally, I always set this code, even though I don't turn on any of the restrictions. This is so that no one can accidentally (or purposely) set the code for me. You have to restore the iPad as new to recover from a forgotten restriction code.

Last edited:
OP
L

longshanks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Restriction code is optional. It's for the parental control settings. You'll find it under Settings > General > Restrictions.

Personally, I always set this code, even though I don't turn on any of the restrictions. This is so that no one can accidentally (or purposely) set the code for me. You have to restore the iPad as new to recover from a forgotten restriction code.

Hi thanks for your reply but, as I said I have not set or been asked to,set a restrictions code this is what I do not understand. As I need to do a Reset to try and fix a key board problem it will not let me as I have to put in a restriction code.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Restriction codes have been set before, by accident, or by unknown causes. Go to the restriction settings and see if it asks you for a passcode, or asks you to set one. That will confirm or eliminate whether this is the problem. Regardless of how it got set, if it is set then you'll have to deal with it form that point.

There is a procedure for restoring with your restriction passcode set. I don't remember what it is myself, but perhaps someone else remember it, or has a link handy. My time is limited at the moment, but I'll try to remember and take a look for it later.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're probably going to have to have to restore the iPad as a new device using iTunes. You'll be able to then restore it from a backup, but only if you have a backup from before the restriction passcode got set.

The good news is that this will probably fix the keyboard problem too.

The bad news is that you'll have to add everything back to the iPad manually. Make sure you save all important documents and files off the iPad before restoring. Since you 'probably' won't be able to use a backup there will be no way of recovering them if they exist nowhere but the iPad.

Good luck.

I've sent you a PM to another site that has several related links. I doubt you'll find different info there, but it might be worth your while to read through them.

Most reactions

Latest posts