What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a fully fearured photo app for ipad !?

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using lots of photo editing apps but so far i haven't really found one that has all the basic features ,, such as clearing the white and the colored back grounds to transparent,

Its been really hard to find just one app that has 75 % of photoshop features :( this is really frustrating ....

Any tips, any recommendation is highly appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• image-3418614962.jpg
    image-3418614962.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,378
Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think you're asking too much of a tool that uses your finger as its input device. I used to make my living using Photoshop and Fireworks, and silhouetting subjects with the Path tool was a skill I exercised everyday. All of the iPad photo apps seem focused on making trendy, me-too snapshots for social media sites, with no higher aspirations. If you need the more advanced Photoshop functions, use Photoshop (or Fireworks, or GIMP) on your "real" computer.

The iPad is a fine media consumption device. As a tool for media creation, well...it may be fun to probe its limits, but you're never far from a brick wall of frustration. Snapseed is about as good as it gets. I tried them all, and deleted all the rest.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi LannyC - excellent response that succinctly summarizes the issue w/ iPad photo apps. To the OP, I'm a retired academic radiologist who put lectures together for years using PhotoShop & PowerPoint - just not going to happen on an iPad; I too have plenty of photo apps and usually resort to Snapseed to do my imaging editing (which is not too demanding) - good luck in your search & let us know if you find a 'diamond in the ruff'? :)

OP
Alexanderine

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you're asking too much of a tool that uses your finger as its input device. I used to make my living using Photoshop and Fireworks, and silhouetting subjects with the Path tool was a skill I exercised everyday. All of the iPad photo apps seem focused on making trendy, me-too snapshots for social media sites, with no higher aspirations. If you need the more advanced Photoshop functions, use Photoshop (or Fireworks, or GIMP) on your "real" computer.

The iPad is a fine media consumption device. As a tool for media creation, well...it may be fun to probe its limits, but you're never far from a brick wall of frustration. Snapseed is about as good as it gets. I tried them all, and deleted all the rest.

Well, i have found a solution for the transparent background using >> ArtStudio app, what i did is adding a transparent layer then add my photo in another layer >> then merge them together and then use the eraser tool to transparent anything from your photos :) so i honestly can tell you now , that allll and mean all my problems with photo editing is done , and that theres nothing i cant do on iPad in terms of photos :)
I talked too soon i guess i needed sometime to experiment with the apps but i was too lazy i guess and was looking for a straight answer :p , but it seems you guyz have lost faith in your iPads .

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nah, faith not lost...but not misplaced, either. I don't use my iMac much anymore, but for graphics there's no sense in beating my head against the wall with the iPad, when the iMac will get the job done 10X faster. I'm a drag-and-drop fanatic--I cannot get much done using only one open window at a time--and I prefer making graphics with vectors wherever possible (hence my preference for Fireworks).

If you are happy with the results of using your finger, great.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
......................... but it seems you guyz have lost faith in your iPads .

Au contraire, the iPad remains an important part of my computer life - checking email, previewing the online forums that I frequent, reading books & magazines (I now receive just a few in the mail), browsing the web, playing games, etc. Also, the device has replaced my laptop when traveling; w/ a Wi-Fi connection & an Apple BT keyboard, wife & I while 'on the road' do our email, check our forums, and search the web for local restaurant reviews, sites to visit, and events. So to reiterate, the iPad is a valuable part of our computer life (BTW, wife has the iPad Mini)!

OP
Alexanderine

Alexanderine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah, faith not lost...but not misplaced, either. I don't use my iMac much anymore, but for graphics there's no sense in beating my head against the wall with the iPad, when the iMac will get the job done 10X faster. I'm a drag-and-drop fanatic--I cannot get much done using only one open window at a time--and I prefer making graphics with vectors wherever possible (hence my preference for Fireworks).

If you are happy with the results of using your finger, great.

Humm vectors you say and faster 10x ,, ok then i recommend this app, please tell me what do you think about it :)

Also theres vector pro, but i find this ones better in terms of vectors :) and fast result too ..

Attachments

• image-3560671949.jpg
    image-3560671949.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 600

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Humm vectors you say and faster 10x ,, ok then i recommend this app, please tell me what do you think about it

That looks pretty interesting, though I wonder how points can be moved with precision with no mouse or arrow keys. But my typical project still involves dragging data from one window to another between different apps, and being able to compare two images, also in different apps, visually at the same time. That cannot happen on the iPad, where everything is fullscreen.

Example: the hummingbird migration map on my website, http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html. I receive sightings as emails. I open the Minimap Sidebar extension in Firefox, then drag the zip or postal code from the email onto the map, which marks the location with a symbol. Next, I position my source map, a layered Fireworks PNG file, next to Firefox and option-drag to copy a new data point from an existing one, dropping it by eye on a location that corresponds to the Minimap symbol. I option-drag a date from an existing one, edit the number as necessary, and drag it next to the data point. I usually process 10-20 reports at a time, several times per day from March to mid May. Finally, I export as GIF and FTP it to my server. There's a lot of repetitive work, and the time-saving shortcuts add up to make the job much faster. It still occupies an hour or two every day. It would be a full time job on an iPad.

approveme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo Forge 2
If you're looking for a more Photoshop-esque editing experience, Photoforge 2 is a solid choice. It's popular among professional photographers who need a mobile solution for quick edits. In addition to all the typical photo adjustments like color balance, curves, contrast and the like, Photo Forge lets you add Instagram-style effects and simulate specific lenses, film types and processing techniques. Unlike most iOS photo editing apps, this one supports layers like those popularized by Photoshop on the desktop years ago.

Photo Forge 2 is rather powerful, but all those features are packed into an interface that's anything but intimidating. It's a cleanly designed interface with intuitive controls.

GraceNote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Humm vectors you say and faster 10x ,, ok then i recommend this app, please tell me what do you think about it :)

Also theres vector pro, but i find this ones better in terms of vectors :) and fast result too ..

Thanks for the recommendation, Alexanderine, on iDraw. I looked to see how much it is right now, hoping for a deal, only to find that I already own it!

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not that easy to find PC class tools and programs. The iPad was meant to be a media consumption device, not a replacement for a PC.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not that easy to find PC class tools and programs. The iPad was meant to be a media consumption device, not a replacement for a PC.

Well, don't leave us Mac users out - same applies, i.e. much more powerful apps for photo editing are available on an OS X device.

But, just to provide another 'excellent' option for the iPad, I use Photoshop Touch (among 3 or 4 other photo apps which offer more basic features). But, just as an example, wife and I travel to Wilmington, North Carolina once or twice a year and stay on Wrightsville Beach (a barrier island on the ocean) - my favorite house there is attached below - the first pic shows a large water tank that ruins the image; w/ PS Touch, I was able to remove the tank (second pic) - now there is a 'learning curve' which needs to be repeated if the app is not used that often. Dave :)
WVBeachHouse2.JPG
photo.JPG

Most reactions

Latest posts