What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what iOS on iPad 4?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows for sure that if I purchase a factory sealed iPad 4, does it come with iOS 6.

When I got mine it did, but that was a while ago, when it came out. I'd like to confirm if Apple, after some point, started selling it with iOS 7 or if it's like guaranteed that a brand new, factory sealed iPad 4 will always come with iOS 6.

I appreciate any input from costumes and users and also, if anyone knows if there's a way to check the OS that comes with a specific model or serial number anywhere.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's going to depend on whether the device came out of the factory before or after the newer models began to ship. Apple continues to manufacture and sell it's older devices as lower tier models, but it always sells them with the most recent version of iOS.

So, if you find on older iPad 4 sitting on the shelf of a third party retailer, you might get iOS 6, or maybe 7. I believe Apple was still selling iPad 4's last year.

If you buy direct from Apple, even refurbished, you're going to get the newest software.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's even possible to get a sealed iPad 4 with iOS 8 as iOS 8 was released on September 17th, just under a month before the iPad 4 was discontinued on October 16th.

If you go to this site and enter the serial number of the sealed iPad, it will tell you which iOS version it shipped with. http://ios.joshuaturner.co

Edit: it doesn't work with iOS versions above iOS 7.1

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts