What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I see in my backyard...

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a peaceful relaxing scene ski! I was in Krakow not that many years ago and, although I don't remember that brand, I do recall the Polish beer was excellent.
And, although I also don't remember its name, there was a particular dish of pickled herring with pickled onion and sour cream base that I really enjoyed, even better than the somewhat similar Dutch matjes or German rollmops that I also like. Now that went really well with that Polish beer!:D
Andrew

Thanks Andrew-I am really loving the start of our Summer here in Michigan. A friend of mine bought me this beer as a "thank you" for helping her at work. I really enjoy the smooth taste of it, with a hint of grape flavoring? I've never been to Poland, but it is on our bucket list. That dish you describe is Creamed herring. At least that is what my husband's side says. We have it for Easter and Christmas each year. Hubby loves it, me not so much. :) Cheers to you!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like you are having a nice clear night to see that sci. Did you try for any pictures?
Andrew
Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me at the time. It looks just like a bright star, but moves quite fast; much faster than an aircraft.

While I didn't see it this time, if it moves into the Earth's shadow while you're watching, it will disappear like a light being turned off.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BUSY BEES IN THE HERB GARDEN
Working flowering rosemary:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433902544.985886.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433902560.466697.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433902576.053707.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433902594.397097.jpg

I'm not sure its the same bee. There were a number of them enjoying some nectar on our rather overgrown rosemary bush:)
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's been a real push for planting flowers that attract bees here, due to the issue of bee shortage. I'm not entirely sure of the cause and effect of all of it, but your picture Andrew is assuring that they are still thriving somewhere. :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's been a real push for planting flowers that attract bees here, due to the issue of bee shortage. I'm not entirely sure of the cause and effect of all of it, but your picture Andrew is assuring that they are still thriving somewhere. :)
Thanks re the pics ski, but Australia too has serious concerns re reduction of bee colonies as honey supplies, canola and other plant losses have suffered badly; largely due to drought and increasing use of pesticides. A reduction of the little critters has serious implications for world food production. Heres a link re Oz....
http://www.futuredirections.org.au/...mplications-for-australian-food-security.html
I must admit I had no thought about that when taking the photos of those little guys among the rosemary flowers which they love. But at the same time I remember recently lamenting with my neighbours about poor lemon production in our back yards, apparently due to poor pollination.
Quite coincidental.... As I was typing this my missus came home with a few shopping items where we were running low. And one of those was this jar....:D
image.jpg

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a really interesting post, Andrew! I really hadn't checked until now about our world-wide decline. I had noticed myself that the cost of honey went up from the last time I bought a jar. :( No wonder there's so many messages on my Twitter garden feed speaking about planting flowers that attract honey bees. I may just have to do that, between all the rain we received the last few weeks! :(

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sci...I have seen so many different kinds here in Michigan. Green, blue, red, but not one that big and sinister!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sci...I have seen so many different kinds here in Michigan. Green, blue, red, but not one that big and sinister!
The actual dragonfly is about a third smaller than in the photo. While we have dragonflies with more blue colouring, I haven't seen the brightly coloured ones you have in Michigan.

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The actual dragonfly is about a third smaller than in the photo. While we have dragonflies with more blue colouring, I haven't seen the brightly coloured ones you have in Michigan.

Next time I see one, I will take a picure.

Yesterday I went for a walk. When I got home, I saw: 4 deer, a doe nursing it's 2 fawns, 2 woodpeckers, 2 monarchs flying over our Milkweed, 2 hummingbirds, 1 rabbit and an assortment of other flying creatures in my backyard all in a span of 5 minutes! :)

Gotta love Nature!

Most reactions