What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What hope? iPad 2, 14 months old, totally unresponsive / dead...

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right!

I woke up this morning to find my iPad 2 is totally dead. Unresponsive, won't turn on, won't reset, nothing on the screen, acting remarkably like an inert lump of metal.

'AAAAa.'

I've booked a genius bar appointment on Monday; but I'm acutely aware that it's out of warranty (I'm stunned I didn't buy Applecare - could've sworn I did, but ay).

And it looks like a hardware failure.

I've got a night shift tonight, and've recently been paid for some teaching work; tbh, I'm tempted to go out and get an iPad 3, so's I've got something to be up to tonight. And in the absence of much hope wrt the iPad 2.

Any thoughts on likely / possible problems; and, perhaps more importantly, likely / possible repairs, and the likely costs thereof?

With thanks...

OP
M

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add another, brief question: it's got un-binnable personal data on it. Unanonymised research interview transcripts, and so on and so forth, from research projects. I could not ethically get rid of it - in any way - without wiping that data.

If I can't access it, and / or it won't boot up, how could I go about that?

tbh, the limits of my technical knowledge - and the ethical dimension - stretch to a hammer and some enthusiasm.

Are there any other sane and safe ways of ensuring total data wipeage?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about asking the obvious question - but could the battery just be run down? It behaves like an "inert lump of metal" when the battery is fully discharged, even after you plug it in to the mains. It takes a bit for the iPad to respond when you plug it in to the wall, so you may think that's not the problem. So, may I suggest you plug it into a wall socket and leave it for an hour or two. See if it then wakes up.

I don't have any other suggestions, sorry. Nor do I have any idea about repair costs and such. Hopefully, someone will come along who does...

Marilyn

OP
M

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about asking the obvious question - but could the battery just be run down? It behaves like an "inert lump of metal" when the battery is fully discharged, even after you plug it in to the mains. It takes a bit for the iPad to respond when you plug it in to the wall, so you may think that's not the problem. So, may I suggest you plug it into a wall socket and leave it for an hour or two. See if it then wakes up.

I don't have any other suggestions, sorry. Nor do I have any idea about repair costs and such. Hopefully, someone will come along who does...

Marilyn
A nice idea, but it was plugged in overnight (and dead when I woke up); I separately tried plugging it into my iMac (it failed to register, and failed to start up); and I've tried two different connecting / power cables...

So I'm pretty sure that - whatever's the fault - it isn't a lack of charge. (Or if it is, that's related to a hardware / battery failure rather than it not having been plugged in).

It also had >30% charge when I went to bed, and wasn't running any unusual programmes (with an automatic screen lock @ 2 minutes)

Thank you, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts