What happens to sent mail?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by NYHorsewoman, Jun 28, 2011.

1. NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, does anyone know what happens to sent mail? How long does it stay oh the iPad? If you have to restore your iPad will the emails be there too? Does it get synced to your server?
  2. King.Khoja

King.Khoja iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The emails stay on your iPad when you send them. The email address you use also stores all the emails online so if u need to look at an email you can just sign in online to the mail server online. If you restore your iPad and back it up from the firmware right before the u restored it, than you may still have the files other than that the iPad deletes everything when it is restored.
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,683 / 1
    It depends.

With a POP account the sent emails are stored on the iPad. With an IMAP account they may be stored on the iPad, or on the server. It depends on the account and how you have it set up. When you dig through your account settings you should eventually find some Advanced settings, and folder settings. If you can chose between storing sent emails on the server or locally, it will be here. Trash can also be set here, sometimes.

If you have an internet connection, the iPad will send the email immediately. Immediately can take a while. When the email is finally sent the iPad should give you a kind of jet taking off sound, provided you have those sounds turned on.

If you create the email when you have no connection the iPad should send it the next time you have a connection and start the Mail app. It's possible it might send it without starting the app, but I've never tested this and would not count on it.
  4. NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It,s a POP. I guess I just want to e make sure I have the emails I send to clients so maybe I just need to sent myself a copy of each email.
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I'm sure you know this but ..

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Always BCC myself' -> 'On' to always send yourself a copy of the email automatically.

Tim
  6. NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yeah, got it set for that, thanks all.