What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens now that i found out my ipad is a stolen one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i bought an ipad from this person thinking it was his and he didnt want it because he already had one. The ipad is still in its box brand new never turned on or used. However, my friend told me that he knows that person and he stole it from a store, first of all if i register my info on itunes will the ipad be tracked?? second i will go to the store and tell them i believe someone sold me an ipad that was stolen from this store but what will happen with the money i spent?! ugh :(

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Myself I would quickly turn it in because there is no way it can be used without a lot of problems, and you could be the one getting arrested for a felony. Trust me you now have it and that is all the District Attorney would care about. Not your story of you buying it from someone.
Better to write off the money paid then be paying the Attorney defending you maybe.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are better off going into the store and explaining your story and have them look up the serial number to see if in fact is was reported as stolen (I would think that would be in their system). As far as your money goes, your out of luck unless you can get the person you bought the iPad from to give it back to you. Also be prepared for the cops to be involved since you know who the thief is and they are going to want you to give up his name and if you refuse to give up his name you can be charged with obstruction and possession of stolen property. Your other option is to call the person you bought the iPad from and tell them you found out it was stolen and you want your money back. I obviously don't know this person so if they are a psycho I wouldn't threaten them saying you're going to call the cops. If they are a psycho then you may want to just go to the store and say you bought it from an ad on craigslist and you didn't save the sellers info and just be out the money.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
register it at an apple store, they will assist you. Because as of right now, you are not sure whether it is stolen or not.

would be better to approach them and tell them you bought it from someone on the street, and just wanna make sure everything is cool.

there is many lost, found and stolen devices, and i am pretty sure people register them, with no issues.

hopefully a lawyer on this forum can chime in.

or try to contact the person you got it from, somehow, and try to get a little bit more info.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i can't see how this was stolen from a store,security is very tight in stores that sell these devices,i too would go to Apple and get them to check,alternatively just ring up Apple with the details,you will never get any peace of mind or joy from the device until you know,please let us know the outcome,good luck.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are better off going into the store and explaining your story and have them look up the serial number to see if in fact is was reported as stolen (I would think that would be in their system). As far as your money goes, your out of luck unless you can get the person you bought the iPad from to give it back to you. Also be prepared for the cops to be involved since you know who the thief is and they are going to want you to give up his name and if you refuse to give up his name you can be charged with obstruction and possession of stolen property. Your other option is to call the person you bought the iPad from and tell them you found out it was stolen and you want your money back. I obviously don't know this person so if they are a psycho I wouldn't threaten them saying you're going to call the cops. If they are a psycho then you may want to just go to the store and say you bought it from an ad on craigslist and you didn't save the sellers info and just be out the money.

You can really bet it can become a real costly and also become a long drawn out problem for you. It might be time that you contacted a Attorney to be sure you take the right path.
You might think I am just barking up a tree, but in most States the price of the iPad puts it into the Felony offence when stolen from a store.
Better to be safe then later very sorry.

MacDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would call apple support and talk to a rep. I would be willing to bet that there is a 90% chance they will just let you keep it or replace for you.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. A lot of eBay iPads are from shady sources and i have yet to see a horror story after registering an ipad that was purchased from a shady ebay seller.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whatever you decide, be sure it's a decision that fits your own moral code. In the long term your own sense of wellbeing will depend more on how you feel about your actions than the consequences that they bring.

Well, that's how we'd like to see ourselves, anyway.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People buy and sell iPads and iPods all the time. The ones that are out the box are the ones to be worried about as those may have belonged to someone. So it would be different if it came out of somebody's house, car, bag, etc. then it would register as stolen. So take it to a Apple store and if they tell you it's stolen tell them you got it online or through one of those pop ups that always seem to have the iDevices cheap. (Good luck. I'm not responsible for the advice I just gave, and I won't be held responsible for what happens in any way.)

zeus_da_god

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the above is good advice. Mine is - don't tuen on "Fine My iPad" until you make a decision :)

windowman62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@poisonivy
Better think again, Here they showed 2 people breaking into a store and going right to the ipads
and stole over 100k worth of them in under 2minutes before the cops even got to the store.

OP
A

anony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, i just dont want to lose my money, i dont have the money to be throwing like that in case they keep it and decide that i just go back home without nothing. I mean if it came from a store then i shouldnt be worried? and if it came from a previously owned i should? it wasnt previously owned at all, its brand new.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacDan said:
I would call apple support and talk to a rep. I would be willing to bet that there is a 90% chance they will just let you keep it or replace for you.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. A lot of eBay iPads are from shady sources and i have yet to see a horror story after registering an ipad that was purchased from a shady ebay seller.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer :D

I wonder how many iPads on eBay are illegally being sold. Even by members that have 99 to 100 percent positive feedback. These members sometimes may not even know the iPads are hot.

Too ban there is not a ap
Location hat one can download from the ap store that by putting in the serial number from the iPad in would let the buyers know the history behind these iPads.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts