What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What extra do I get with Pocket Informant HD

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What extra do I get with Pocket Informant HD. Been seriously thinking of getting it but for £9 wondered what extra it gave me over my Windows Outlook sync that I currently have?

I know Tim has it from a previous thread so to the Man himself and anyone else, can you tell me?

Thanks

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is what Tim said to another member. I totally agree. I couldn't go without pocket informant HD. It's the best!

I looked at several apps for this and, in the end, chose Pocket Informant HD.

I read that Pocket Informant was buggy but, in my (admittedly) limited experience, I’ve found no problems at all. It has a very nice user interface that's almost infinitely configurable - a complaint that many Forum members make about the iPad’s native ‘Calendar’ app. So you can choose how tasks, events, projects, appointments are colour coded and there is a wide choice of notifications and alarms - so, for example, you can have different alarm sounds for different categories of notifications.

Pocket Informant ‘sits on top’ of the iPad's native ‘Calendar’ app and (optionally) imports all entries that it finds there. They can be colour coded so they can be distinguished from entries made in Pocket Informant itself.

This is important because many other iPad apps use the native ‘Calendar’ app as the default place to put events, invitations etc. So, for example, if you are invited to a meeting by email and you receive that invitation in the iPad’s native ‘Mail’ app, that app can automatically (and quite cleverly) insert that invitation into the default calendar app. Without that integration between the native app and Pocket Informant, you'd have to enter those invitations all over again.

Pocket Informant has lots of ‘hidden’ features too. One of the reviewers remarked that part of the ‘fun’ of using Pocket Informant was discovering them!! The display is infinitely configurable - day, week, month, year at a time. Tasks, events, overdue tasks, projects, projects in progress etc etc all can be optionally displayed on the main calendar. Projects and tasks can have infinitely nested sub-tasks and projects - these can cleverly be integrated with GPS - so, say you needed to purchase some goods from the hardware store. Put that in a To-Do list and link it to the location of the hardware store using the iPad’s native ‘Maps’ app. Next time you’re driving past the hardware store, up pops the notification (‘Remember to purchase some 2”x4” timber’).

Repeating events are very flexible too, with the ‘custom’ mode being infinitely (I keep using that word!) configurable. So, meetings that occur on the last Thursday and first Monday of every other month - no problem.

It can sync with external calendars - Google for example - and back-up is cool, it creates a backup file that you can email to yourself for safe keeping. If you lose your iPad or all your data is corrupted, that backup can be imported back into Pocket Informant with a single click.

You can create multiple diaries within Pocket Informant - say ‘Work’, ‘Family’, ‘Golf Club’ etc and have their entries optionally displayed on the main screen or restricted to the display of the individual diary. So it’s easy to check if there’s a clash between the golf tournament and your wife's birthday - and hide it if there is......

If you surf to the developer’s web-site, you can download for free a very comprehensive User Manual that will show you in detail what Pocket Informant can do.

The developers are constantly updating the program - always a good sign in my view.

As I said at the beginning, perhaps I'm not a particularly demanding user, but I’ve had no stability problems at all. I should add the usual disclaimer that I have no contact or other relationship with the developers of Pocket Informant other than being a very satisfied customer.

Tim

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like PI however, I have started using Smart Pad recently and for me that works just a wee bit better but it's a close run thing and your personal preferences will come into it. There has been a recent thread with discussion about both......I'd post a link if I could but I'm posting through the app so no can do I'm afraid but that search button is just waiting for you!

The Archangel

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought PI so thanks for your help. Gabriel1, I did look at Smart Pad but it has really negative reviews, Thanks though. Let you know what I think.

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice app, First glitch though. My Hotmail Birthday calendar is showing birthdays twice for no obvious reason. I've emailed the support team for the app. Driving me mad as I cannot work out why.

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zepp man let me know how u get on with the app, i have the version for my iphone, but for me upgrading for the ipad version is really steep in price ffs.

So waiting to see what the reviews are

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get the iPad HD. It's fantastic! I'm on that more than my iPhone PI. It has a calendar on the left for any year and the space for the planner is huge. I was the same as you but I now spend more time on the iPad.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zepp man let me know how u get on with the app, i have the version for my iphone, but for me upgrading for the ipad version is really steep in price ffs.

Hiya, Its ok. Not greatly impressed for £9 really. Very "Buggy" getting it to sync with my hotmail calendar and you dont get that much more than the standard calendar, Just looks sexier. Purely more customizable.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased both PI and SP.. Both are great and I think it comes down, for me that is, if I want to use the icons or the colors in the calenadar. I am still testing both out but I seem,at this point,leaning towards SP. I do,however,like the icons to quickly look at my caldendar for an appointment. The colors with SP is something I have to get use to.

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hiya, Its ok. Not greatly impressed for £9 really. Very "Buggy" getting it to sync with my hotmail calendar and you dont get that much more than the standard calendar, Just looks sexier. Purely more customizable.

Yeah thats the way i feel, i like the app for my phone and looked at the screenshots for the ipad version and yes they look nice.

But to pay £9 ?? thats way to much

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pocket Informant : Do you have to purchase the hd for the iPad and also the standard for the iPhone making a total £11.98. Does it automatically sync to both.

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do have to purchase both I'm afraid. Once you set it all up and download the small (Free) desktop app it will sync automatically.

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a refund for PI now, It's so unreliable. It syncs what it wants too. Doesnt like online calendars like hotmail, Wasted hours literally on it. Give up now.

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No1zeppelinfan said:
I'm trying to get a refund for PI now, It's so unreliable. It syncs what it wants too. Doesnt like online calendars like hotmail, Wasted hours literally on it. Give up now.

Sorry to hear that zepp,

I had an idea it wasn't worth the upgrade tbh, far to much

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have PI and Smart Pad. My friend looked at both and she really like SP much better. PI seems a little too busy but haven't had any problems with it like No1zeppelinfan has. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Good luck with getting a refund.

Most reactions