What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Does "Refurbished" Really Mean?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have seen this term used in many contexts and have wondered just how much refurbishing is actually involved.

In the the case of the iPad, a quick wipe of the screen is about all that could be done to refurbish it:).

It's much the same concept, I think, as calling used cars "pre-loved cars".

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A "quick wipe of the screen" would be a "used" iPad, not a refurbished one. From what I understand, a refurbished Apple mobile device has a brand new battery installed, necessary repairs are made and is thoroughly tested. It is not sold until it passes all of the tests of a brand new unit and it has the same warranty as a brand new unit.

While it is possible that it may have some minor cosmetic issues (if at all), you won't be able to tell the difference in functionality between a refurb and brand new.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Generally, a unit is returned as "Not Working" by customer.

The manufacturer or service center will get the unit working either by replacing a part or parts that can be replaced, reformat the memory back to factory, clean/buff out scratches (if present and possible) and then set it aside for warranty replacements.

Qualified techs can do the resoddering and replacing of far more than you think. Including screens if the rest of the unit is fully functional.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A new battery and warranty certainly qualifies as value adding.

Does anyone know if it is economical to thar battery replaced once the iPad is out of warranty? I assume while in warranty, Apple replaces the iPad and possibly recycles the returned unit as refurbished.

The battery should last for 5 years of course, so no doubt when the time comes, the tablet market will be much more mature and I will looking at what I can purchase to replace my current iPad (which will seem quite dated by then).

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They can also be units that have been returned for one reason or another and once they have been opened, they can no longer be sold as brand new.

Also, when you send your Apple mobile device in for a battery replacement, what actually happens is they exchange your unit for another one and it is generally a refurbished unit. They only promise to send you a functionally identical unit, not a brand new one. This means that someone else will receive the iPad you sent in as a replacement. This is why it is crucial to back up your iPad BEFORE sending it in!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is pretty much what they are counting on! Sooner or later (later, I hope!), Apple will no longer support the first generation iPad even though it will still work.

I have a first generation iPod Touch and the highest level of iOS firmware for it is 3.1.3. It still works just as well as it did when I bought it, but of course it will not do any of the cool stuff like multi-tasking and folders and everything else that comes with iOS 4.2.1.

I also have a second generation iPod Touch and while it will take iOS 4.2.1 and it will do folders, it will not do multi-tasking.

By the time your iPad battery wears out, they are counting on selling you a current model!

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah. I plan to enjoy my first generation, but agreed, eventually these devices will need to be upgraded. My orignal iPhone won't do what the new one does-same principle. But I sure hope for a couple or so years with this one!!!! And I believe I am safe to skip iPad 2 at least!

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On a related note, I just bought and received a MacBook Pro from the Apple refurb area of apple.com and it's awesome! Pristine condition and you wouldn't know it was a refurb unless I told you! I heard good things about apple refurbs (like basically how the majority of the componets basically went through QC check 2x) and I can testify it's true! Go for it!

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Refurbished Mac my put the price in my range.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Apple usually goes above and beyond in their refurbishing process, but I still have a policy of never touching refurbs. Been burned too many times (not by Apple, though).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Apple usually goes above and beyond in their refurbishing process, but I still have a policy of never touching refurbs. Been burned too many times (not by Apple, though).

They do....refurbs are basically brand new from apple and best of all they have a 1 year warranty built in and you can buy another 2 years.

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is good to know because I swore off refurbs too when I had nothing but trouble from a PC I bought from HP.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is economical to thar battery replaced once the iPad is out of warranty?

I'd be very impressed if it is - iPad disassembly is pretty complex/time consuming. Currently, Apple's battery replacement program for $109 is simply to give you a new iPad of the same configuration as yours, and I expect the plan is that down the line few people will bother and they won't have to worry about not having any old ones to swap.

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1991-C4 said:
From what I understand, a refurbished Apple mobile device has a brand new battery installed,
My refurb MacBook looked pristine but it did have two or three cycles on the battery so not all refurbs get new batteries. Probably depends on the projected life of the battery involved and the number of cycles on it when it is returned.

Most reactions

Latest posts