What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does E mean instead of 3G?

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So if I'm traveling and my A T & T connection has 5 bars but it says E....does that just mean there isn't 3 G service?? My Verizon phone works great (figures! I guess the commercials about Verizon being better are true!) I don't get it...I do have a connection, just slow. Wifi locked here (bummer). I guess I just don't get why if it has 5 bars it says E? Error??

M

Manou

So if I'm traveling and my A T & T connection has 5 bars but it says E....does that just mean there isn't 3 G service?? My Verizon phone works great (figures! I guess the commercials about Verizon being better are true!) I don't get it...I do have a connection, just slow. Wifi locked here (bummer). I guess I just don't get why if it has 5 bars it says E? Error??

E = EDGE network, definitely slower than 3G

Oops, I just saw The Archangel beat me to that

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're way out in the boonies, you may also see a small letter 'o' appear instead of '3G' or 'E'... If you do see an 'o' there, then you have a GPRS connections which is incredibly slow. Much slower than 3G or Edge... It's almost useless.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
EDGE....ok then. Interesting! Well at least it's not the little o!! iPad 2 does function out here just much slower than normal. Thanks for the info!!!! Annette

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Edge kicks in where a carrier's network starts to get spotty. Where it kicks in varies from carrier to carrier.

In some places, my AT&T will kick over to edge, while you can still get 3G on another carrier, and vice versa. This week, a traveling companion could only get edge on T-Mobile, while I got 3G on AT&T. On cross-country road trips, edge sometimes kicks in between cell towers along interstates.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EDGE....ok then. Interesting! Well at least it's not the little o!! iPad 2 does function out here just much slower than normal. Thanks for the info!!!! Annette

If you manage to hit 'o' than you can use the iPad's glossy display to send reflected light signals.

Gattamom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
E= Extremely worthless. Cannot get on the internet on E in North Georgia Mountains...

Most reactions

Latest posts