1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

What does closing the smart cover really do?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by pmstirling, Sep 22, 2012.

1. pmstirling

pmstirling iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,

I thought closing the smartcover put my iPad to sleep. But I don't think it does. I noticed that when I turn on my wifi hotspot while the smartcover is closed, the iPad still joins the network. I think it also checks for email, app updates etc.

So it seems that all closing the cover does is turn off the display. Is there a way to really put it to sleep?
    patrick
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,691 / 0
    The iPad does the things you mentioned while it is asleep unless you turn off the WiFi or set your e-mail settings to not check for mail. So, I'm sure the cover does put it to sleep.

Hope this clarifies/reassures.

Marilyn
  3. pmstirling

pmstirling iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, if apps are still running I would say that the iPad is not asleep!

I would define "asleep" as a low power consumption state where apps are suspended and as much hardware as possible is shut down. The wifi and 3G radios are not low power!
    Patrick
  4. BocataDeChoped

BocataDeChoped iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That's what ipad does. When you put the device to sleep, the hardware enters in low power state (the CPU is clocked down for instance). Wifi and 3G (BT too) power consumption is data transfer related.
  5. janner43

janner43 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    So, simple question.
    When the ipad is asleep - ie smart cover closed, screen off, can it be set to turn wifi off?
    In other words, despite the email app checking every 30 minutes, say, is there a setting that means the iPad with screen off, turns off wifi thereby over-riding the email app checking for mail.
    I'd like the iPad to be fully asleep (not off) while the screen is off, regardless of the settings of any other app.
  6. BocataDeChoped

BocataDeChoped iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Maybe on a jailbroken device there is some tweak that allows you to mess with the wifi/data policies. Afaik there is no way to do this on a regular iDevice. You have to either to manually shut down wifi/data through settings, enable airplane mode or power off the device.
  7. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    There are several layers of battery management. Certain functions are able to continue after an event tell the iPad that it is not being actively used. If you close the cover and are using the music app, it will still play. If allowed, you will still receive notifications. Apple gives programmers certain conditions where the apps will continue to run in the background, and there are ways to control these actions.
  8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    On the iPad the screen is usually the biggest user of energy...and this is generally true on all tablets. Thus, sleep means simple that the screen is off. The iPad is good a going into a low power state then.

The intended use is that the device is at the ready all the time, so it doesn't do a "deep sleep" that shuts down everything...because if it did then things like alarms & notifications wouldn't work. Mine will be in sleep mode by yet will sound a notication if there is a severe thunderstorm warning or a tornado warning. And frankly, I prefer that I can just grab it and have it on without any extended wake up period. I think this is what its designers intended. It seems most tablets work this way too.