What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you want as members from our forum?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
The challenge with that is you need to also have useful/meaningful reviews. There are far too many self-professed reviewers (with the best of intentions, no doubt) who just don't/can't write very well.

Exactly, the mods could review or ask specific members to review to gain some control, the responses to those reviews would allow all in the forum to contribute.

The Archangel

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we need a new level of moderator.....above super moderator level.......maybe called Darth Moderator?

Here is a picture from our last Super Moderator convention --

darthvader.jpg

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1991-C4 said:
Here is a picture from our last Super Moderator convention --

Well you would have thought that Darth Moderator would have discovered the White board app.......no wonder we don't see him here very often......and why didn't he write on "the dark side"?

As you can see I hedge between the two......

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-331456907.jpg
    image-331456907.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 320

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly, the mods could review or ask specific members to review to gain some control, the responses to those reviews would allow all in the forum to contribute.

The idea is a good one, because we can then establish a certain standard and quality for reviews, which in turn leads to increased (and repeat) readership, which in turn attracts more sponsors/advertisers/other freebies to get to review. This also raises questions of "how do you determine editorial standards" and "who's going to actually do it" which is a long-term issue, once you get past the initial excitement of getting it started.

I guess my specific views about review-writing comes from having been both a (music) reviewer and an editor since 1998 (including professional freelancing writing gigs for magazines and websites.) A good reviewer needs:

1. a good command of the language. Being able to write with style and flair counts for a lot.

2. product knowledge. Many reviewers enthusiastically praise one product (just the one they bought and own) - but if you haven't actually seen or used other products, how do you know how your product stands in comparison to others?

(Reviewing can be an expensive hobby, I should add. Although I also received tons of CDs free between 1998 and 2006 because the music labels were practically throwing product at us.)

As I said, reviews are easy to write - but producing an informed review is actually a highly acquired skill, and mentoring inexperienced writers is an important aspect of a good editor.

If the owners of the forum want to go down this path, I'd be happy to help out to get things rolling - just unsure at this point how much I can commit in the long-term because of family time and other demands.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had to say, after many dealings with the moderators on this forum that it is probably the best moderated forum I have been on, must be a tough job, being a friend to all yet still having to wield the iron fist of justice........

Ahem, now I'll get back to posting inane comments randomly around the threads and stalking the moderators to the far corners of the universe!

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Damn, now you're stalking me! How did that happen? Hmm, I have an idea, I see a few new threads for me to cause trouble in........you'll never take me alive copper!!!

The Archangel

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I wanted humor and Jokes, go to Jokes.com

I think we need a new level of moderator.....above super moderator level.......maybe called Darth Moderator?

Oh, and I think you should ban anyone who makes stupid comments in reply to a serious thread question!

The Archangel

I don't know about banning "stupidity" (the moderators wouldn't have any time left to do anything else) - but I will say that there have been many forums in which I've been an active member for a time, and then by virtue of the forum's membership growing larger and larger, the quality of posts began to deteriorate and the harmony of the board went sour, and members (including myself) simply left.

(On the other hand, I fully support a no-tolerance policy on trolls and troublemakers.)
Hey! I resent that!:mad:

I would have been banned in the first week!:p

::::::::::Smiles!:::::::::::::::

Me wants more smilies!!!...:D

No one uses the iPad image smilies and there's no laugh or Lol or no rofl smilie. Humor is essential in life...;)

Seriously, humor and jokes are fun for some ... even teasing turns some people on. For me, I review the forums to learn and gain insights. The one line comments ... just for humor and response ... literally just take up space and offer nothing in a learning sense. But, it seems the tolerance of this kind of stuff, just ruins the good stuff that could really be offered.

MacRumors for instance offers a long list of threads in a quick read sense like 50 per page without having to click on next page, next page, oh so time consuming and actually frustrating.

Most reactions

Latest posts