What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think?

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It all depends on how strong one's relationship is. Ambition can become all consuming, but I would rather have an all consuming relationship rather than an all consuming ambition. Again, it is down to the type of individual one is. Some people are selfish, others are selfless. I would rather give my last Rolo than take from a loved one. That doesn't make me a good person just, maybe, better than some, I don't know. In a nutshell, a difficult question that, I'm afraid, may not have a definitive answer.
Mike

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I was 16 my parents were splitting up and I wrote this and stuck it on the wall beside my bed.

Women give up great careers for the sake of a man.
Men give up great women for the sake of a career.l

Of course I was only 16 and thought I knew everything ! Times they are changing, slowly.

Victoria022

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I think relationships are more important that ambition. One of the most important things in the world is the relationship we have to our Creator, ourselves, family, friends and fellow men. Once we have strongly built that relationship, all our ambitions will just follow.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find this is frequently the case with many people I know, myself included to some degree. Frankly, I felt I had little choice but to get out of dodge once I graduated HS. Had I not, the notion of what would have become of me is quite scary.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find this is frequently the case with many people I know, myself included to some degree. Frankly, I felt I had little choice but to get out of dodge once I graduated HS. Had I not, the notion of what would have become of my is quite scary.

I hear you.

I've always been in ambitious in the sense that I knew what I wanted to do at a young age, and I knew that I'd have to leave home to do it, especially if I wanted to do it well. For me, it was never even a question of whether to stay, or consider any relationships -- with family or otherwise. Luckily, I've always had strong ties to my family, no matter the distance. And I lucked out and ended up with a husband who's been amazingly supportive. But my approach has always to fulfill myself, and I find that if you're happy and have high standards, you will meet great people. And if others cannot truck with that, oh well.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found this article provocative:

Relationships Are More Important Than Ambition - Emily Esfahani Smith - The Atlantic

Do we have to choose between one or the other? This has not been my experience. What about yours?

People hate me, so I must use ambition to get ahead while I sit atop my throne and mock the lessers. I do find relationshiops often useful because they help further my ambitions.

I love cash and I distrust people. All I can trust is the dog. And kids drive me bonkers. They should be working and staying the heck off my lawn, you darn kids, I'll tell you what.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People hate me, so I must use ambition to get ahead while I sit atop my throne and mock the lessers. I do find relationshiops often useful because they help further my ambitions.

I love cash and I distrust people. All I can trust is the dog. And kids drive me bonkers. They should be working and staying the heck off my lawn, you darn kids, I'll tell you what.

I don't hate you Bob. Each to their own. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I think relationships are more important that ambition. One of the most important things in the world is the relationship we have to our Creator, ourselves, family, friends and fellow men. Once we have strongly built that relationship, all our ambitions will just follow.

Couldn't agree more! Thanks for sharing.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Spend some of your cash, hire some lackeys, get those kids off your lawn.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bet if if you spent some of your cash putting a smile on someone else's face you would feel very differently. Try it. Even a few dollars. You might find your own gift is in the gift you give. Just a thought.

Most reactions