What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll use it to browse the web and knockout some emails while on the couch or in bed. I also think it will be great for those 2 or 3 days trips when you need to handle something quickly and efficiently. The airport is another great environment for an iPad :)
Just acquired an Anker Smart Cover that includes a very thin, keyboard case and flip stand. Now I can actually do documents, spreadsheets,etc. via Pages, Numbers and keynote. Wow! plus all the stuff mentioned in the quote and then some. I have a big notebook also. But, iPad reigns supreme for consumption ... now productivity also

the damps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife had an ASUS net-book, with Win XP (as my desktop has). The grand-kids surprised her with an iPad as a birthday gift. She was completely flummoxed by the differences and wasn't very interested in trying to figure out the iPad. A couple of weeks later, she was working on the iPad and the power cord, across the side table, dumped a glass of Pinot Grigio all over her (powered-up) net-book. She didn't realise it had happened until the following morning. Needless to say, the net-book is history.

To my surprise, since DW isn't particularly computer-savvy, she decided to abandon MS and learn Apple. It's still a project in work, but she's a lot better on the iPad than I am. My computing background goes back to the mid-1960s, with ALGOL (programs on punched paper tape), then FORTRAN (using IBM cards) and later, in flight simulator engineering, Singer Link and Honeywell assembly language. Finally, before retirement, I got into real-time scientific FORTRAN in flight simulators.

I have absolutely no experience with Apple and I'm no help to DW at all. Surprisingly, she seems to be figuring out the intricacies of the iPad without much involvement with me. I guess that's an accolade to the non-geek capabilities of Apple software.

Last edited:

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So many things. It will replace my paper Day-Timer to start. Calendar, contacts, notes, and integrate with Exchange for Calendar and contacts as well as e-mail. Web browsing will be handy when I'm out and about. I'm also looking forward to using it as a remote console for my servers when I need quick access from someones desk. Then of course, there's sitting on the couch reading the news and generally browsing the web to keep up with the world, reading books, of course. Playing solitaire during those long boring conference calls, and using it to keep notes of stuff I need to take out of meetings.

It will most likely replace my laptop as my traveling companion when I have to take short trips for work and don't need all the power of my laptop and I'm sure I'll load up a movie or 2 when I'm on vacation. Come to think of it, a movie would be nice to have sometimes when I'm camping. When the weather turns bad, it's nice to have a distraction.

I second all of the above. Plus, after 4 years of use (first by my wife, now by me) along with PC laptop and iPhone 5s (new), I am thinking the iPad2 with 64 Gb of storage is rather ideal for quick transfer of photos from my camera(s) ... SD cards (while traveling). Later on, I will use my laptop as my main storage and backup since it has a huge hard drive (750 GB). It also backs up both mobile devices. I back up further from the laptop to external hard drives. iCloud seems nice at first, but expensive to access and is slow (my Mi-Fi is slow and expensive when I exceed its capped 5 gb limit).

flyrabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, I think I will use it mainly as an eBook reader and also as a mobile internet tablet when you just don't feel like getting out the whole laptop... ie, on the couch.

Second to that, on plane flights as a movie platform it will be nice as the screen size is great and the battery life will beat even my 17" Macbook Pro.

All in all, there are a few neat uses for it but mainly those 3 for me.

What about you?

I use iPad to watch movies and play games. Sometime, I will use it to take photos.

nuggstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it to stream music to bluetooth speakers (Spotify, iTunes, Soundcloud) and play games. I also use the kindle app on commutes.

Nabans

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watch videos on Youtube, check emails, shopping, play games, listen music, edit photos (even though it is not the best option but I like editing photos on my iPad and then to the final touch ups on my PC, yes I use a PC). Also recently I came to know that you can edit videos on iPad Air, is it true?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch videos on Youtube, check emails, shopping, play games, listen music, edit photos (even though it is not the best option but I like editing photos on my iPad and then to the final touch ups on my PC, yes I use a PC). Also recently I came to know that you can edit videos on iPad Air, is it true?
Apple has the iMovie app, for editing videos, available free to purchasers of a new iOS device, such as your new iPad Air. Look in the apps made by Apple section in the AppStore.

dottie_79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi , You asked what we are going to use our iPads for. I'm using mine for email, visiting all of my hobby sites, downloading crochet and knitting patterns, Facebook where I can see and admire my friends latest projects, generally for learning. I just received my Apple iPad retina for Christmas and have been having fun and frustrations learning this new way of keeping in touch with the world. So as you can imagine I'm still learning this wonderful tool using the manuals and joining this forum. Hope you have fun too.

dottie_79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my ipad3 last year, but - I'm embarrassed to admit - only in the past 2 months have I used it for anything but reading. In the meantime, I've been absolutely blown away by the iPad's capabilities, many of which I discovered and explored during a recent trip to Canada. I took the iPad with me basically to keep up with emails and occasional urgent work-related matters, but find my horizon has expanded. :) I only wish the iPad were capable of running Office 2011 so that i could work on the iPad when I'm travelling. For work, I unfortunately need a laptop. Still, perhaps an Office app will become available some time in the future.

I think if you go to the iPad store you will see an app for MSOffice 10. I don't know if it will be suitable but you can give it a try.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think if you go to the iPad store you will see an app for MSOffice 10. I don't know if it will be suitable but you can give it a try.
At the present time, Microsoft has not yet released any Office apps for iPad, although they have said such an app is coming.

EricCulbertson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i mainly utilize it as an mp3 player as most of the time i remain busy with the sound streams coming out of the play list out of my "i" device i have stored with

Most reactions

Latest posts