What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

raylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Read the daily newspaper, primarily the WSJ. The screen and app look to be more user friendly than the Kindle. Some web surfing in my easy chair instead of at a table. My wife will be happy if I can get my laptop out of sight:). As a retired guy, I love having the newspaper available at four in the morning on those days I wake up early and not having to tramp through the snow to find the papers at the end of the driveway.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ebooks - only if has a voice reader, email, and web browsing. I don't think that it is a full blown mac book in this version but just wait for iPad 4G to come out, it should be a killer!!

tsowaiman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the Logitech touch mouse works, it will be my HTPC's remote mouse and keyboard.

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a photographer -- one thing I look forward to is using the iPad to share my photos with others -- at church, on the sidelines of sports, at my kids' school. I use my iphone for that now, a larger screen would be better.

Nice large bible for reading and taking notes at church. I use my iphone for my bible now, but a bigger screen would be useful to also be able to take notes.

Couch/bed surfing of course.

Games -- though I'm sure my 3 daughters will play far more games on it than I will.

Magazines -- maybe ebooks. I'm not sure about books as I love reading books on my iphone because it is small and light and easy to hold for a long period of time.

Maybe load it up with tv shows or movies before going on vacation.

Car entertainment system for the kids (games, movies).

Lee

Imageman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo-shoot proofs on 32GB iPads, gift them to clients

03/12/2010 05:32am - 64GB WiFi pre-ordered, Apple Store :)

If they are cool as they seem, we'll install photo-shoot proofs on 32GB iPads and gift them to our clients with a bottle of Champagne! Bet the word will travel fast, and the project list will grow! Inexpensive advertising these days - IM

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad start to rock the world

03/12/2010 05:32am - 64GB WiFi pre-ordered, Apple Store :)

If they are cool as they seem, we'll install photo-shoot proofs on 32GB iPads and gift them to our clients with a bottle of Champagne! Bet the word will travel fast, and the project list will grow! Inexpensive advertising these days - IM

one of my friend a swiss watch manufacturer will send some iPad to his customer with his annual catalogue .... and in fact he say that will cost him less than a luxury paper catalogue

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is going to mainly be my media center.

It will be connected to the stereo for Mp3/Pandora.
It will house my photographs for easy display and mobility.
It will be my "I have to take a dump but wanna read websites" machine.
I'll also check out reading books on it, but have a feeling paper will win out.

BethAsheville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I preordered an iPad yesterday, mostly so I can look at ebooks and online magazines on the couch in the evenings (while my husband watches his favorite reruns of Bones, etc. on the big-screen TV - since he's the one who craves control of the remote). We're both 63 years old and I've started preferring large print books for easier reading at night. This will be far better. Sometimes I want to look something up on google but I'm too lazy to get up and go to one of our PCs. Now that kind of thing will be couchable (and bathroomable...) - as well as for Internet and photo show and tell when I travel to visit friends and relatives in other states.

Actually, after reading others' ideas here I think I'd better change my order to a model with more storage. My husband might want to watch a movie or read an ebook while sitting in our van waiting to do astro imaging in a dark sky area near the Appalachian Trail or the Blue Ridge Parkway here in Western NC. (He has a laptop, but uses that to control his telescope and digital camera/webcam videoclips with autotracking.) More storage is goodness for something so open-ended with great potential uses as the iPad. I had no trouble filling up my first iPod very fast....:cool: :p

BethAsheville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I use a BOSE speaker with my iPad?

I'd like to use my iPad to play music with the BOSE speaker that my husband gave me for my iPod. Is that possible and how would I connect them???????????????? Thanks for any advice you can give.

(And of course I want to sit on the couch with my iPod to read books, google-search, read/send email, listen to my Teaching Company CDs and DVDs (downloaded from our Windows PC) - using headphones while my husband watches his favorite reruns on our big screen TV, create handouts and Power-Point-like presentations for the courses I teach to other retirees like me at UNC-Ashevile's College for Seniors (NC Center for Creative Retirement), and maybe play sudoku/freecell and any other non-competitive games that others recommend....) Thanks to everyone for all the interesting ideas that they're putting on this forum! :)

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know what I will use my iPad for...

I will surf the web with the iPad instead of using my Windows machine and thereby decreasing the crap that automatically builds up on a Windows machine and this will extend its life.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to use my iPad to play music with the BOSE speaker that my husband gave me for my iPod. Is that possible and how would I connect them???????????????? Thanks for any advice you can give.
I recommend you buy a dock for your iPad and keep it right next to your Bose unit. You can then connect the line-out port on the dock to the line-in on the Bose unit. (You can get the cable you'll need at best buy/radio shack.) You will then be able to listen to your iPad when it is in the dock. The nice thing about connecting the cable to the dock instead of directly to the iPad is that when you want to listen through the Bose you just drop the iPad into the dock (no cables to connect). If you connect a power adapter to the dock too, you have the added benefit of charging your iPad whenever it is in the dock.

EDIT: Make sure your Bose unit has a line-in port before buying anything.

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plan on using it as my portable 'everything' device. I just relocated from DC to IL and stay in an place with limited internet access. I've been checking email via iPhone and Droid, and only use my MacBook when internet is available. The larger screen of the iPad with 3G will be a vast improvement. The MacBook Pro can stay home with the Kindle.

dks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope my ipad will become my personal ‘virtual tether’ of choice:

For regular internet/emailing/shopping/research activities & for travel...also for reading magazines, books & newspapers.

If I can learn to use keynote, I would like to present my college art lectures using the ipad...... (it would also be fabulous for my students to get their college textbooks on it... art books especially).

I also hope to keep a personal journal & notes on it... (would be nice if MacJournal wrote a companion app for it... but Pages is good too)

I am an artist & I hope to see a really good painter/sketching app & better stylus/pens for it someday in the future.... (something bigger than Brushes... but smaller than Painter/Sketchbook).

I can use it as an art portfolio to show clients.

I hope to somehow mount/dock it above my treadmill to watch a show while exercising.

I plan to dock it in my painting studio & let it read a book to me while I paint.

I am hoping that me & my young granddaughter will learn to use it together...& then eventually I would like to teach my sister & my 82 yo mother to use it... neither of which even uses a computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts