1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

What do you think about iPad at School?

Discussion in 'iPad at School' started by Abraham Morrissette, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Abraham Morrissette

Abraham Morrissette iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How much it's necessary to have a iPad at School? How can it contribute to your knowledge?
  2. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +974 / 0
    I think that the iPad would be a great asset for a student at any level. When I was in grade / high school we had access to computers and printers within designated classrooms. When I entered college, more and more students began owning their own desktop or lap top. I see the iPad as just another extension to these. It's portable, light and is just a great device to use for literature reviews, writing papers, etc.

So--absolutely yes..the iPad does have its place in school settings in my opinion!
  3. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    For college it's very helpful. I still use pen and paper for my notes, but I have my textbooks loaded onto my iPad, which is a huge weight saver. Also it helps for when you have to quickly email a professor about something, search the school site for information, or even check blackboard to start on your homework assignments, it's easier to do on the iPad rather than to look for a pc somewhere, or pull out the beast of a laptop to do this simple task. Plus the ipad can sit alongside your notebook or on your lap, where a laptop would just be the only thing on your desk, which would drive me crazy unless it's a computer science class.. Its a very handy tool, recording the class lecture is also a possibility, and if you need a quick spell check or definition of something, google will be right on your desk. The tools this device provides are numerous!

Due note though, that over the past year, I've gotten more and more games which have indeed distracted me during class. So if you are going into a boring class, I'd recommend leaving the iPad in the car, for your educational benefit.

As for high school and grade school, well a student doesn't have a choice in the matter, any electronics found were confiscated (where I come from anyway). If the teachers chose to use iPads in the class, or if the students have permission to use them, then they would be very helpful. But young people are easily distracted and fascinated by these devices, so they could wander from what they are supposed to be doing to YouTube or Facebook. So in my opinion, the iPads would have to be programmed to restrict certain apps, functions, sites, etc.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. Amy Rose The Hedgehog

Amy Rose The Hedgehog iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    The lower grades in my school use iPads in their class and in music class next year when I'm in 5th grade my music teacher said she might let us make our own music on the app garage band since we make all of our class songs on garage band :)
  5. Little One

Little One iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use my iPad everyday at school, taking most of the notes in it, I have it loaded with all of my textbooks. Can't imagine school day without it, to be honest. :p
  6. jim bryson

jim bryson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it's great! Kids seem to love anything on the ipad, and I think its a really usefull tool to engage them in learning, or even to bribe the kids into learning something!
  7. Teddybearman

Teddybearman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Here in the Philippines, there are some schools where the iPad is a prerequisite. You either buy one on your own or buy one from the school. But in any case, the school will configure it to make it just for educational purposes, so no games or social network. So, no more heavy textbooks as they will all load it to the iPad.
  8. Little One

Little One iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would love that. :p
  9. Teddybearman

Teddybearman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I know! Very convenient and practical, at least in the long run. Imagine going through school WITHOUT heavy books to carry? Think of our future generation with all their correct posture and stuff. Lol!
  10. tonyfarley

tonyfarley iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's only a matter of time before schools stop buying books and either supply an iPad or iPad-like device or require one. All books, class notes, etc. will be downloaded from the school website or through iTunes/iTunes University. I think there's about 5-10 years until Districts do the math and it just makes sense.

I'm a high school teacher and I'm putting my physics course in iBooks format. Teachers all over will be doing this soon.

Tony
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  11. David.G

David.G iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple has changed the way we live and learn. It is a good asset for the kids in schools for learning.
  12. Teddybearman

Teddybearman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Wow, more power to you, Tony! Wishing you all the success in your books. *hugs*
  13. Little One

Little One iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There should be more like you! Good luck! :)
  14. IH8law

IH8law iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    As a graduate student (law, LLM - my name is a joke), a small group of us use iPads, exclusively. After battling the professor that wrote the books, we won a copyright dispute under the fair use clause. I use iAnnotate, which allows me to highlight the pertinent text, which then I export to an outline. It's only a short matter of time before our methods are the standard. While pricey, an iPad with a ScanSnap M1500 has changed my life. I scan & OCR books in minutes; unfortunately, the process destroys the books unless I rebind them. However, if you're capable of buying an iPad, scanner, and far too many apps - cost is unlikely to be an issue.
  15. FlavioSousa

FlavioSousa iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do I think of iPad at school? I'm all for it!

I'm a high school teacher in Funchal, Madeira Island. I teach economy to underprivileged teenagers (15-19 y.o.) and, believe me, it's not easy to motivate those kids. They loved the iPad, though. The topic was technological innovations, so I decided to talk about the legacy of Steve Jobs and I showed them my new iPad. They tried several educational apps (e.g. Solar Walk, iTranslate) and lots of games: they loved Lane Splitter and Angry Birds but Temple Run didn't impress them much.
  16. STEVSH

STEVSH iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My daughter's elementary school that she will be starting this fall is working on getting Ipads in for the Kindergartners on up! Being the techy freak that I am, this is why I chose this school. They are not afraid to move forward and embrace this quickly changing world.
  17. istudentipads

istudentipads iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad is great for schools! It enables students to quickly research something thats being discussed without interrupting the flow of a lesson - it enables quick note taking and acts as several devices combined - a voice recorder, web browser, note pad, camera, language lab, video player, book reader etc etc
  18. Amy Rose The Hedgehog

Amy Rose The Hedgehog iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I think the iPad would be an excellent device for school. There a lots of applications that are very helpful to students. Such as iBooks. There are also lots of math apps that are good for use too. I have troubles in school with math, and my principle had an iPad that she would call me over every thursday to her office and she would have me play a math app of her iPad to help with my learning. It was a adding subtracting and multiplying app. It helped excellently. I think our math tutors in our school should also use these apps to help kids with their math. I found these apps very helpful and I'm sure lots of other kids in the school will too.
    GarageBand is also a great app for music class. Our music teacher has an iMac that she uses for our class songs every year with GarageBand to record us singing and add the instruments to the songs to make them sound good. The music teacher said that she may have us bring in our iPads in to make our own songs with.

iBooks is also an excellent app. There are lots of great books on iBooks. There's lots of good free books too. It would be an excellent reading app for children. It has a bookmark and you can just type in any page on the search if you lose your page.

The younger grades in our school use iPads. I can remember what reasons, but they are obviously used for good use. So, I think the iPad would be an excellent device for schools everywhere.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  19. newfoundtech

newfoundtech iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very useful during classes where professors just teach like there's no tomorrow saying different things from their presentation. Many apps allow the user to record the lecture at the same time jot down notes. Surfing the web also becomes easy
  20. brian_casey

brian_casey iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My only concern with the iPad as a learning device would be students losing literary skills. The information presented on an iPad comes quickly and I don't think it affords them the chance to really think about what it means and to make connections to other knowledge.