What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think about iPad at School?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the iPad would be a great asset for a student at any level. When I was in grade / high school we had access to computers and printers within designated classrooms. When I entered college, more and more students began owning their own desktop or lap top. I see the iPad as just another extension to these. It's portable, light and is just a great device to use for literature reviews, writing papers, etc.

So--absolutely yes..the iPad does have its place in school settings in my opinion!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For college it's very helpful. I still use pen and paper for my notes, but I have my textbooks loaded onto my iPad, which is a huge weight saver. Also it helps for when you have to quickly email a professor about something, search the school site for information, or even check blackboard to start on your homework assignments, it's easier to do on the iPad rather than to look for a pc somewhere, or pull out the beast of a laptop to do this simple task. Plus the ipad can sit alongside your notebook or on your lap, where a laptop would just be the only thing on your desk, which would drive me crazy unless it's a computer science class.. Its a very handy tool, recording the class lecture is also a possibility, and if you need a quick spell check or definition of something, google will be right on your desk. The tools this device provides are numerous!

Due note though, that over the past year, I've gotten more and more games which have indeed distracted me during class. So if you are going into a boring class, I'd recommend leaving the iPad in the car, for your educational benefit.

As for high school and grade school, well a student doesn't have a choice in the matter, any electronics found were confiscated (where I come from anyway). If the teachers chose to use iPads in the class, or if the students have permission to use them, then they would be very helpful. But young people are easily distracted and fascinated by these devices, so they could wander from what they are supposed to be doing to YouTube or Facebook. So in my opinion, the iPads would have to be programmed to restrict certain apps, functions, sites, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The lower grades in my school use iPads in their class and in music class next year when I'm in 5th grade my music teacher said she might let us make our own music on the app garage band since we make all of our class songs on garage band :)

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad everyday at school, taking most of the notes in it, I have it loaded with all of my textbooks. Can't imagine school day without it, to be honest. :p

jim bryson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's great! Kids seem to love anything on the ipad, and I think its a really usefull tool to engage them in learning, or even to bribe the kids into learning something!

Teddybearman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here in the Philippines, there are some schools where the iPad is a prerequisite. You either buy one on your own or buy one from the school. But in any case, the school will configure it to make it just for educational purposes, so no games or social network. So, no more heavy textbooks as they will all load it to the iPad.

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Teddybearman said:
Here in the Philippines, there are some schools where the iPad is a prerequisite. You either buy one on your own or buy one from the school. But in any case, the school will configure it to make it just for educational purposes, so no games or social network. So, no more heavy textbooks as they will all load it to the iPad.

I would love that. :p

Teddybearman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know! Very convenient and practical, at least in the long run. Imagine going through school WITHOUT heavy books to carry? Think of our future generation with all their correct posture and stuff. Lol!

tonyfarley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before schools stop buying books and either supply an iPad or iPad-like device or require one. All books, class notes, etc. will be downloaded from the school website or through iTunes/iTunes University. I think there's about 5-10 years until Districts do the math and it just makes sense.

I'm a high school teacher and I'm putting my physics course in iBooks format. Teachers all over will be doing this soon.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

David.G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has changed the way we live and learn. It is a good asset for the kids in schools for learning.

Teddybearman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, more power to you, Tony! Wishing you all the success in your books. *hugs*

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There should be more like you! Good luck! :)

IH8law

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a graduate student (law, LLM - my name is a joke), a small group of us use iPads, exclusively. After battling the professor that wrote the books, we won a copyright dispute under the fair use clause. I use iAnnotate, which allows me to highlight the pertinent text, which then I export to an outline. It's only a short matter of time before our methods are the standard. While pricey, an iPad with a ScanSnap M1500 has changed my life. I scan & OCR books in minutes; unfortunately, the process destroys the books unless I rebind them. However, if you're capable of buying an iPad, scanner, and far too many apps - cost is unlikely to be an issue.

FlavioSousa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do I think of iPad at school? I'm all for it!

I'm a high school teacher in Funchal, Madeira Island. I teach economy to underprivileged teenagers (15-19 y.o.) and, believe me, it's not easy to motivate those kids. They loved the iPad, though. The topic was technological innovations, so I decided to talk about the legacy of Steve Jobs and I showed them my new iPad. They tried several educational apps (e.g. Solar Walk, iTranslate) and lots of games: they loved Lane Splitter and Angry Birds but Temple Run didn't impress them much.

Most reactions

Latest posts