What do these keys do?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Sap44, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello again. I’m using a Bluetooth keyboard with my ipad and there are 2 keys I don’t understand

Alt/Option and Win

Ive tried playing with them but I cant make them do anything. Could anyone explain what they do?
    I don’t know the make or model of this keyboard. Ive had it a while and lost any instructions that came with it.
    Thanks, Ed

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Ed - assume that you are using a Windows KB, but shown below are the 'equivalents' of Mac vs. Windows keys (check LINK for more discussion) - these are modifier keys (i.e. Command & Option) for a Mac KB and are used in combination with one or more other keys (e.g. CMD-C or -V for copy and paste) - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 3.41.09 PM.png

3. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, Girardman, for your help and the link. BTW, I'm not using a Windows KB, but a Bluetooth KB meant to use on an Apple device. Ed

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Ed - just that the use of those key labels would suggest a Windows and/or hybrid type KB since you stated that the maker/model of the device was unknown to you? But, let us know if the explanation worked for you - might help others w/ the same question(s). Thanks - Dave :)

5. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have a fairly new Bluetooth keyboard which I’ve only started using in the last few days (don’t know the manufacturer), and I’m in the process of learning it. I notice there’s a “WIN” key present. I assume that means “Windows”, so it has no use on an iPad. Is that correct? Thank you. ED

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Ed - you already asked that question in your thread HERE just a few days ago - should have continue the same issue and not start a new thread. Hopefully, a mod can come along and add your 'new' post to the other thread so the conversation there is not lost. Dave :)

7. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, my memory has been somewhat impaired due to a stroke. I’ll try to be more careful in the future. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about your impairment, but glad that you understand - please review the previous linked thread to see if my comments were of any help - if not, then post there - Dave :)

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I’ve merged both threads so that the information can be found in one thread only.

10. Sap44

Sap44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, both of you. I'm getting better and better using my iPad thanks to the assistance of the knowledgeable and kind folks on this forum. :)