What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what do I need......

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
app wise or whatever I need to play movies from itune store on my ipad air?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just download them to your iPad and play them in the Videos app. Also, if you go to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Show All and slide the Videos switch to on, all your purchased iTunes movies will show on your iPad and you can stream the ones not on your iPad from the cloud. An excellent Internet connection is required for smooth streaming, though.

OP
L

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just download them to your iPad and play them in the Videos app. Also, if you go to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Show All and slide the Videos switch to on, all your purchased iTunes movies will show on your iPad and you can stream the ones not on your iPad from the cloud. An excellent Internet connection is required for smooth streaming, though.
so I dl the movie, then open video app on ipad, and play it? cool, if this is right. I usually mess up the intent of replies. 72 is old for following instructions. lol

oh and is iTunes the only place I can get movies that will play on my ipad or could amazon ones work?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
app wise or whatever I need to play movies from itune store on my ipad air?
Movies purchased from Amazon wouldn't play on the iPad. You can download movies purchased eksewhere to iTunes on your computer and convert them to a format that will play on the iPad. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201520
These movies an be from your DVD and earlier video collections. DVDs can be ripped and loaded onto your computer using any of a number of available programs. Several of our members have experience at this and would be able to better help you in this.

OP
L

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movies purchased from Amazon wouldn't play on the iPad. You can download movies purchased eksewhere to iTunes on your computer and convert them to a format that will play on the iPad. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201520
These movies an be from your DVD and earlier video collections. DVDs can be ripped and loaded onto your computer using any of a number of available programs. Several of our members have experience at this and would be able to better help you in this.
ok. thx for info. I will stick to iTunes for movie then for now. may ask about the ripping stuff later. One more thing since you are batting a thousand so far. you said buy one and t hen open video player. if I want to put 3 or 4 on my ipad air at once, I am going overseas and need a couple each way, how do I do that? If this is too many questions just tell me.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as there is enough available storage capacity you can just download all three or four. When you open the videos app, they'll all be listed in the movies section. Here's a screenshot of part of the movies section on my iPad.
image.jpg

OP
L

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as there is enough available storage capacity you can just download all three or four. When you open the videos app, they'll all be listed in the movies section. Here's a screenshot of part of the movies section on my iPad.View attachment 61520
well just looked and I have 6.9 GB left after operating sys and apple stuff plus books et c. how many movies could I get in 6.9 GB? approx.?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
well just looked and I have 6.9 GB left after operating sys and apple stuff plus books et c. how many movies could I get in 6.9 GB? approx.?
If you look at the available movies in itunes it says how much storage each movie requires. 6.9GB won't allow for more than two or three movies, depending on size.

OP
L

largegroh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you look at the available movies in itunes it says how much storage each movie requires. 6.9GB won't allow for more than two or three movies, depending on size.
ok thx for all your help. I will leave you alone now and go buy some movies. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have an Amazon Prime account it is possible to stream movies using the Amazon Instant Video app. This is streaming, not downloading. The movies are not actually on your iPad, so you'll need a decent internet connection to watch them.

Other Movie/TV options are Netflix and Hulu. These are also streaming services. Both require subscriptions for full access, though you can get quite a bit off of Hulu for free (but not commercial free).

Most of the major networks have apps as well; CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. These will let you stream recent episodes of some of their shows.

There are other specialized apps and services for different genres, networks, old old movies, etc. Plenty to watch on your iPad, as long as you have an internet connection. Very few offer downloads for off line viewing.

Of all these I use Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll (mostly anime), and a few other specialized apps like Pokémon TV (when I'm in a whimsical mood). They work fairly well. I can't speak for the others. I did use the ABC app for a while, to watch episodes of Castle, but Hulu carries that now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention. Some cable TV providers have companion apps that let you watch movies on your iPad. You have to be a subscriber to use them. I've no experience with this service. Nothing I want to watch is worth the price of a Cable TV bill. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts