What do I loose installing "pdf pATCHER 2" ?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by peled, Jul 20, 2011.

1. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    There are recompilation after JB the iPAD to run the application "PDF Patcher 2 " Question is do I loose something ?

While Comex is trusted, there is the possibility that someone less trusted could eventually use the same exploit to do something naughty to your iPad. This tweak will close that hole and make sure that doesn’t happen.

Can I keep getting things from Cydia ?
    Or does it closed the way only to other stuff people are getting from other dangerous site (can't mention here their name)
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,840 / 0
    The PDF Patcher merely patches the hole cOmex found/exploited in creating JailbreakMe 3.0. If you want to feel more secure, go ahead and run it.

And, while I WISH it blocked other, illegal sites, all it does is patch that simple little exploit. Nothing else. How you interact with Cydia is unaffected and unchanged.

Marilyn
  3. mlts0807

mlts0807 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Is there anything else that should be done to protect your ipad from similar exploits. I realize it's probably impossible to completley protect it but are there some basic things that should be done? I have never done anything with open ssh thing so I should be good there. Thanks
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,840 / 0
    No, there's nothing further you can do to safeguard the iPad that Apple hasn't already done.

With the sandbox theory, and for right now, iPads are "safe as houses."

Now, if you had installed OpenSSH - I would tell you to change your root and mobile passwords. But, you haven't, so don't worry about it. But, if you ever do...

That's for the basic machine, mind you. Do keep in mind that there are internet access and browsing techniques you need to remember when using open/public WiFi (e.g. using VPN, not accessing password protected sites, ensuring you're on https sites, watching to see who's watching you type in your passwords, etc.). But, those are common for anyone out "in the wild" - so to speak.

Hope that reassures.

Marilyn