What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can go wrong on an iPad?

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a first gen iPad and I'm coming up on the time when I have to decide whether to buy Applecare or not. I know that it doesn't cover the battery or physical damage. I use it every day and it's worked perfect since I bought it. I'm wondering what sorts of repairs people have required after a year. What are the most likely problems, if any?

I suppose if nothing else it would increase the resale value a bit but I hate to waste money for a warranty that's not likely to be used.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a first gen iPad and I'm coming up on the time when I have to decide whether to buy Applecare or not. I know that it doesn't cover the battery or physical damage. I use it every day and it's worked perfect since I bought it. I'm wondering what sorts of repairs people have required after a year. What are the most likely problems, if any?

I suppose if nothing else it would increase the resale value a bit but I hate to waste money for a warranty that's not likely to be used.
I bought my iPad the day they were released (over 1 1/2 years ago now) and it's been flawless since day one. I have a 3 year SquareTrade warranty in case it's ever damaged. My personal experience has always been that if an electronic device is going to have a problem, it usually shows up right away.

If you'd feel better about having Apple Care for your iPad by all means get it, it's not that expensive. To that end you can shop around and often find it being sold at a discount. I purchased Apple Care for my iMac from B&H Photo for about 60% of what Apple charges. Just a thought.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not normally one fir after care insurance, figure over the years what i have saved on premiums was more than i lost on breakdowns.

Now i get insurance worldwide against loss/damage via my NatWest bank account, covers my Ipad2, iphone4, laptops and Wife's LG phone, called a royalties account which is fabulous value @ £10 pcm

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad the day they were released (over 1 1/2 years ago now) and it's been flawless since day one. I have a 3 year SquareTrade warranty in case it's ever damaged. My personal experience has always been that if an electronic device is going to have a problem, it usually shows up right away.

Not just Rich's experience. Electronic devices are much more subject to "infant mortality" than "old age" problems. If it works for a month, it will probably last longer than you own it. Physical damage, on the other hand, is another story. I find I break things more as I get older. :) A warranty from a vendor such as SquareTrade can be a worthwhile investment.

OP
B

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate the ideas. I've been around electronics for a long time so I know the basic concept that if something is going to go wrong it generally happens sooner rather than later.

I also have a 2011 MBA. I do definitely plan to buy Applecare for that one, despite the higher cost. I've read far too many stories of logic boards or screens going bad after 1 or 2 years and the repair costs are huge ($700+).

Like most of life, I suppose it comes down to risk/reward. The risk of failure is low on the iPad. The cost calculation is $80 for Applecare vs around $400 for a refurb replacement (less if an 8gb model is available). The risk of failure is much higher on the MBA and the cost calculation is much different - $180 for Applecare (from LA Computer Company) vs $1100 for a refurb replacement.

I think I'll save the $80 and put it towards Applecare on the MBA.

Most reactions

Latest posts