What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What book are you reading?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could have sworn I posted this last night. Maybe the same question was asked in another forum.

Anyway I'm reading "Lightning" by Dean Koontz. I'm using the Kindle app.

Not trying to get off topic but is Kindle any different from other book apps available?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not trying to get off topic but is Kindle any different from other book apps available?
Kindle is Amazon's electronic publication platform. If you buy a book from Amazon, you can only read it on one of their Kindle devices, the Kindle for PC program or on an Apple mobile device through the Kindle app. The Kindle app is not a "universal" reader. It is only for stuff you get from Amazon.

Likewise, the other two major "brick & mortar" bookstores (Barnes&Noble and Borders), have their own iPad apps that work in essentially the same way.

With the iBooks app, not only can you read the stuff you buy from Apple, but you can also use it to read "generic" ePubs in addition to PDF's. Unfortunately, the depth of their content in terms of availability stinks... at least compared to Amazon.

The best (IMHO) "generic" reader is called GoodReader... and it really is! It isn't free like the other reading apps. It costs a whopping 99¢! There are links within the app to content providers, both paid and free, but it will also read just about any public domain format out there. Another advantage to GoodReader is that you can store your stuff on a "cloud" like DropBox. And yet another advantage is that you can transfer files directly to your iPad without syncing (but you do have to do it through the iTunes program on your PC) or the method I used most often is through your home WiFi network thereby bypassing iTunes altogether.

Clear as mud, eh?

Last edited:

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Burnt House - Faye Kellerman - Audio Book.

Reading (Listenning to) it on both my ipad and iphone.

Flinthills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just finished the new Dracula book/app. I read the book over the weekend and still have not figured out all the clues. Holding the iPad up to a mirror so I could read the text is so cool!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was reading "Neuromancer" by William Gibson, as I was feeling nostalgic after reading his lastest ("Zero History"). My iPad somehow ate it last night - I opened iBooks to check the iPad user guide to see if I can start watching a video during download (no answer, btw) and iBooks crashed; when I brought it back up, my library was gone. I'm noticing the iPad gets buggy as the limits of its storage capacity approaches (I've got 569MB left on my 64GB).

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noticed a somewhat similar quirk. I was out on 3G and the first time I tried to open a book all of those I had purchased from Apple were absent.

It's as if the iPad asked a permission from Apple's server to let me use those books. Since I was in an unfamiliar pattern of activity it assumed something was wrong and shut out access. Just a feeling...

desirous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the Stieg Larsson books
just finished the first and about to start the second
reading on my iPad using the proprietary reader app from Angus and Robertson Booksellers - where I bought the books
good app and great books

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the Stieg Larsson books
just finished the first and about to start the second
reading on my iPad using the proprietary reader app from Angus and Robertson Booksellers - where I bought the books
good app and great books
Oh! That Millenium series is great, the kind of books you hate to put down...
I've read the three in three weekends. Nailbiters of this kind are rare indeed.

Most reactions

Latest posts