What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by Snowmaven, Jan 7, 2011.

1. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +828 / 0
    Thankless in Death - J.D.Robb
    • Like Like x 1
  2. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,168 / 4
    What is this book about?
  3. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960 / 0
    I'll jump in cause I love this ..."In Death" series (!). It's a story about a female New York City police detective - and it's set in the year 2058-ish. The author is Nora Roberts and she releases a new novel in this series every spring and fall. She's written over 40 books about this detective named Eve Dallas.

The first book of the series is titled "Naked in Death." If you're interested, that's where I'd start, although the books can stand alone (they are a "solve a crime" per book series). It's just that the character develops more over the course of time.

Can you tell this is one of my favorite series? :D

Marilyn
    • Like Like x 2
  4. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +828 / 0
    I couldn't agree more! I have read every book but this one! Of course I'm loving it! That's where " squib " came from! Did you know that already Marilyn? :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960 / 0
    At the risk of de-railing this thread with off- topic subject, no, I did not know this is where you got the username from. But - coolio! :)

Back on topic: the books actually list as authored by a J.D. Robb (it's a Nora Roberts pseudonym). Just so you don't waste time looking under Nora's name for these books...

Marilyn
    • Like Like x 1
  6. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,168 / 4
    Thank you! I've found "Naked in Death" and downloaded it. :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,208 / 1
    Hmm....Naked in Death...I am have to get that after I finish my book. I downloaded the trilogy of "North and South" by John Jakes. I remember reading this when I was a teenager during one of my summer vacations and it was so good. I was going to reread the books again, but realized that I couldn't find book 2 or 3. So...I ended up buying the whole e-book set on my Kindle! I love X-ray which gives me locations and definitions on things! :)
  8. mydave

mydave iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0
    This ..."In Death" series ! Is it as good as the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson ? The beautiful female detective Lindsay Boxer and her exotic female friends who solved all weird cases at the present times ;). . .
    OK, off to check our Eva Dallas then . . :)
  9. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +828 / 0
    I would say it is better because I have a wild spirit. The Lindsay Boxer series is very good! However, she is, and the nature of the book as well, is very proper and tame in comparison to the JDRobb murder books. I even stopped reading about V.I. Warsharski series which is a bit off beat, made me laugh a LOT! But the " Death...." series is in my humble opinion far superior to any woman detective, or mysteries I have ever had the pleasure of reading!
    Remember, that is just one opinion! Do you like wild or do you like coloring inside the lines? It's all a matter of preference.
    Did you watch " MAD MEN "? The series? If you enjoyed that you'll love this, it' shuts 50 yrs ahead in time instead of 50 years back!:cool:
    Hope this helps answer your question.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MadChef

MadChef iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I just got the third book in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness
    The Book of Life
  11. Bennettb

Bennettb iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    Love the Robb In Death Series and the Warsharski's. Right now I'm reading Queen Lucia, a book written in 1920 and set in England. It's really amusing to see this style. I'm also reading Grapes of Math by Belos, a fascinating book about math and it's uses and relationship to life. I struggle with some of the straight out math but it's so interesting that I keep going. I like to read several books at once so I'm also reading covering ground a gardening book about ground covers.
  12. J. A.

J. A. iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,168 / 4
    Started with Naked in Death, also reading The One Plus One (Moyes), and the Hunger Games trilogy is waiting in my library. They will be next.
  13. mydave

mydave iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0
    LOL, wild spirit it is :)
    So, there are many In Death's fans here. You guys read all 49 books in the series ? Rumors are movie adaption is in the work, and the fans are eagerly suggesting proper actors for the characters. You guys may want to join the crowd.;)
    I haven't seen Mad Men yet. Thanks to you, I may have something new to watch.:)
    Cheers,

P.S. Anybody reads 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' series by Stieg Larsson?
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PatS

PatS iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, read every last one of them and looking forward to the next. I did not care for the Steiger Larsson series although many have told me they loved them.
  15. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +828 / 0
    My friend read the book, I watched the movie!
    Soon we are going to switch!
    Have you seen the movie mydave?
    Yes, I have read all 49 books now! ( remember the choices I have are whatever I can reach from my bed! Like the remotes for TV, DVD, As well as real books you hold in your hand and turn the pages, water, food snacks, telephone ( no cell ) , blank paper, you get the idea) I have had ten yrs of this because a man was fight with and staring at the passenger while driving at 80 k. I was stopped at a red light. The witnesses told me he was not drinking or texting, he was screaming and looking at the passenger, he went right under my Blazer SUV! I actually thought a bomb went off! It was next mo, 10 yrs ago! ADD that to previous multilevel spinal injuries and here I am!
    I have left the best for last! The iPad AND the staff and members of the ipadforums.net.!!❤️
    PS I love reading James Patterson (sp.) TOO!!!!!
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  16. mydave

mydave iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0
    Hello Squib,
    OMG, so so so sorry to hear of that unfortunate accident and the unbearable consequence. I don't know what to say, except that you are having many many great friends here from this forum. I am sure that when you need, you will have all the support, mine included.
    Yes, I watched all three movies from the series 'The girl with a dragon tattoo'. Some graphic violence scenes. The actors are good, the scripts are fine, but the books are much better (read them after seeing the movies). It is a crime novel by the late Swedish author and journalist Stieg Larsson. It is the first book of the Millennium trilogy, which, when published posthumously in 2005, became a best-seller in Europe and the United States. There are two movies that were adapted from the first book. One in 2009 by Swedish film and latter in 2011 by Hollywood. The other two books were adapted into movies as well.
    The best book, however, that I ever read is 'The Shogun' by James Clavell. A bold English adventurer. An invincible Japanese warlord. A beautiful woman torn between two ways of life, two ways of love. All brought together in an extraordinary saga of a time and a place aflame with conflict, passion, ambition, lust, and the struggle for power...https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/shogun/id419945041?mt=11. I read it in 1975 and many times afterward. There is a mini series, now on DVD and Blu-ray. Read it and watch the series. You'll be rewarded with some finest moments.

Dave S.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +828 / 0
    First mydave, let me thank you for your very kind thoughts! I truly, in my soul feel your sincerity and appreciate it! You more right than you know about everyone who is a part of this forum! I fell a couple of wks ago and couldn't use my iPad! Boy, I thought I was grateful when it was gifted to me. I had NO IDEA until it was gone just how important it is to my life!
    That saying.... You don't know what you' ex got til it's gone?....has lasted and lived a long life because it is true! I very happy to meet you, you have been here but we haven't actually interacted, ( I don't think ?) until now! I could be wrong - that happens a lot!:(:p
    I don't count my wins or losses so I only take something seriously when I am actually in it. Once I am out I forget! Some folks think I don't take life seriously - they are wrong. I don't take myself seriously, they'd be right.
    Not for long anyway!:cool:
    I adored that book 'Shogun' by James Clavell. I read it years ago yet still remember it. The "Girl with the Dragon..." and movies or books that are gory, brutal or tortuous ( physically ) - I have to skip those parts now because my own pain is already there, and when I read I feel what the characters feel, you get it right?
    Have you ever heard of a series called " Duncton Woods "? I for get who wrote it but I'm going to download that series from the library and read it again!
    GREAT SERIES! Partly because I'm a Buddhist and the author notes a lot of the book's morality is based on that.
    I think "the Good Earth"; The Idiot" - Dostoyevsky "Shogun" and the book called " The Tibetan Book of the Living and the Dying " by Rinpoche Soygal with the "Duncton Wood " series are my all time favorites! If I could only have one book for the rest of my life it would be an easy choice! The Tibetan Book of....," hands down! I don't know a soul on the earth who's life hasn't been changed by reading THAT book!
    Have you read any of my favorites mydave ? :)
    PS the Tibetan book I mentioned should not be confused with "The Tibetan Book of the Dead"
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  18. mydave

mydave iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0
    I hope the forum would allow me a little leeway to express some thoughts, in view of Squib's recent post. I'd hope it helps her, and maybe, just maybe, it would inspire other valuable members of the forum to do the same.;)
    Here it is:

Hello Squib,

I came across this quote from Stephen King: "If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write." Perhaps Kevin can add a bunch of other inspiration quotes ;). You went thru a lot, and did much much reading. Perhaps by mixing reading and writing, there would be more peace and satisfaction. Someday, we may be proud to read your books, who knows. Many have written about their special life, and succeeded. Recently, Amanda Lindhout wrote about her intimate story of an intrepid young woman and her search for compassion in the face of unimaginable adversity. The book's title is 'A House In The Sky' with the help from journalist Sara Corbett. There are many apps and books which can assist in writing. I heard of the writeapp.me website, which provides Private and Secure online notebook.

Well, thanks for reading and consideration. Now, back to the topic.:)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +828 / 0
    Hi mydave, thank you for telling me about that book and her story, I have already requested it from the library! You are the third person this week to mention my life story should be in a book! Before I broke my back I wrote a bucket list! The only thIng left on it is to write a book! How wild is that! I have journals from my travels in Africa, my travels sailing in the Pacific, through the Panama Canal and throughout the Caribbean. The most astonishing thing about the book you mentioned and my travels is this phrase in quotation marks : " the most dangerous place on earth "!
    During my sailing, as a crew member " we got in to a LOT of trouble in the Carribean. Two weeks after returning to Vancouver there was an article in the Vancouver Sun ( I of 2 major Newspapers ) that was titled "
    The Most Dangerous Place on Earth " - how is that for synchronisity?
    Maybe my Bucket List will be completed after all! I think the biggest problem for me is : Where do I start?
    I have lived a very unusual life. A good friend of mine had only one huge
    thing on her bucket list! To circumnavigate the world on a sailboat! She just completed it a few weeks ago! We have kept emails and letters ever since she started. She began her journey with her Aussie mate in a 34' sailboat in 1990 ( circa ). She wrote an email on my birthday last Sunday which included this:
    " I KNOW that you have a wildness that cannot be tamed and it is what attracted me to you even though I didn't understand it. I have a driving need to explore, emotionally and physically but you have it on all levels including spiritually in a much deeper way than I can go. Ironically I am reading a book about a young girl who cannot be tamed. It is called Bloodroot by Amy Greene. It could be a tribute to you! "
    So, maybe I should start by reading those two books! What do you say mydave? squib.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +828 / 0
    Thanks mydave, I was going to delete it because it got so long......but hey, I'm not trying to rack up posts!:D