What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the best options for watching your home tv on your iPad

SaltLife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

What are the best available options to bring your cable tv channels directly to your ipad2? I currently have hd Westinghouse tvs using AT&T UVERSE TV service. Are there any options for this?

Thanks in advance!

SaltLife

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean to connect your iPad to your tv so that anything displayed on your tv appears on your iPad then that isn't possible (it is vice versa though). If you mean you want to watch channels on your tv through the Internet. There are many apps that allow you to stream live tv as well as recorded tv off websites (I'd tell you some but I'm assuming your from America and thus things like BBC I player would be no use to you). You should be able to find some for America if you either search on the app store or jump on the net and look that way. There are also generic apps on the AppStore that allow you to stream live tv although these don't tend to have brilliant picture quality. Of the apps I've seen 'watch Tv ffee live with TV catchup' is one of the best. Hopefully someone else will comment with some other recommendations.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean to connect your iPad to your tv so that anything displayed on your tv appears on your iPad then that isn't possible

I beg to differ as here in NY, I am lucky enough to be a subscriber of Optimum Online which offers all of their cable channels for free on an Ipad or Iphone. I can also make recordings to my DVR which is awesome in case I am away from home.

OP
S

SaltLife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. Notice I'm in Alabama so Optimum isn't an option down here. I have yet to see an app that will provide the service. I talked to a guy at a meeting before Christmas and he showed me his cable tv streaming on his iPad. I didn't go into with him how he was able to make that happen but I know for sure its available. Anymore advice is sure appreciated. Thanks!

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kostnkost said:
I beg to differ as here in NY, I am lucky enough to be a subscriber of Optimum Online which offers all of their cable channels for free on an Ipad or Iphone. I can also make recordings to my DVR which is awesome in case I am away from home.

I do indeed know that. I'm sorry as I obviously didnt make myself very clear. I meant that you can't physically (as in using cables) connect an iPad to a tv and see what happening on the tv. I realise that streaming it is possible in a variety of ways as I do this frequently when away from home.

OP
S

SaltLife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wireless solution for using outside and on travels, something that works via 3G & wifi. My cable provider offers it, but their app isn't up to speed yet. Looking for a turnkey setup available for the iPad today.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For starters most video staking apps probably won't allow you to use 3G (although I may be mistaken) due to the bandwidth needed to do said streaming. If your cable provider has its own app, but you don't like it, you probably won't find another option as I presume you pay for your cable service and you would therefore need to prove you do pay by logging in before using their app? For this reason a third party app that shows the cable shows you want probably doesn't exist as they wouldn't be able to get the rights to provide the channels. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I coul dbe wrong, and if so I look forward to seeing the answer, but unfortunately I doubt there is one, sorry.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's easy

Slingbox. I have all 800 or so channels from my Comcast cable on my iphone and ipad wherever I am. No subscription fees at all beyond what you already pay for cable or dish at home.

OP
S

SaltLife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slingbox. I have all 800 or so channels from my Comcast cable on my iphone and ipad wherever I am. No subscription fees at all beyond what you already pay for cable or dish at home.

I looked it up, thank you. For an iPhone/ iPad does is it best to buy the hd version or is the basic model good enough to broadcast reliably?

coolisuz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to slingbox if you are in USA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tdhaddox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slingbox is awesome. We did get the HD version and it's great!

Most reactions

Latest posts