What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Are The Best Apps For Elderly

Padmen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
verizonipaddeals.com
Hello everyone.

I am trying to set my Mom up with a iPad and Internet so the family can check up on her easily.

I was curious of some apps we could load for her. She takes a boatload of drugs everyday.
I heard about some apps that remind you to take your pills but I can find any.

Anyway I was hoping to get some ideas for apps that can help older people get through their day.

Your suggestions are appreciated
:)

OP
P

Padmen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
verizonipaddeals.com
Thanks for that suggestion.

I thought I would add she had a stroke and rotater cuff issues. Her arms barely make into a table, Very limited motion.
So I was thinking about a stylist or a speech to text app.
I have nuance on a cpu, but it requires it getting to know the user as a set up process, I don't think that would work.

I'm trying to make this set up as stress less and intuitive as possible.

She was a 1st grade school teacher for 35 years and never used a cpu let alone a iPad before. A CPU hater until now.

It would be nice to have a dozen or less apps that she can just poke with her finger or sylist/stick

Appointment's
some kind of private instant messaging (all us kids have droids or blackberry phone) and iPads
drug alarm
wireless security camera ( I have the hardware for that)
Simple contact access list of family members nurses etc on screen 27/7
911-fallen and I cant get up app
meal planning

I don't know. I want to have the iPad set up where she sits down every morning and be able to whack it with a stick and have it work. LOL but needed

Obviously I would set it up.

Guys/Gals I really do appreciate all the help. Your doing a good deed by helping me here. Fell Good!

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Go to iTunes and type "Apps for the elderly" "elderly" "nursing home" and "elderly care" into the search box and you'll find 20 or so apps to look through. Type in "instant messaging" to find chat apps. The contacts app already resident on the iPad can serve as the contact list. Type "911" to see a list of 911 apps. And last, type in "meal planners" for a list to peruse. Hope this helps your effort and good luck with your mom.

P.S. Schoolteachers ROCK!!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is none of my business and as much as I enjoy my iPad, I am also the child (a 53 year old child!) of a parent with Alzheimer's Disease and with all due respect, I think you are asking too much of your iPad.

If she ever forgets to put it on the charger one day, all of the apps and external hardware won't do her or you any good.

knock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought one for my 77 year old mother. She is far from tech savvy. She does not have Alzheimers (sp) but she takes some pain meds that make her forgetful in the evenings.

She plays solitaire and reads A LOT, so Kindle and Solitaire were the first apps I loaded for her. They have helped her learn to use the iPad and she now uses it every day. She's about 50% adept on email and 30% on Facebook, but she likes both of them. To help train her for those apps, I am going to load up a crossword puzzle and soduko app, two other games she enjoys that will get her comfortable with the keyboard and switching apps.
She is good about charging it, rarely dropping below 50%.

I guess my point is that I have tried to make the iPad something she wants to play with by setting it up to do things she enjoys that are simple to operate. That makes learning how to use it important to her.

OP
P

Padmen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
verizonipaddeals.com
Agree with all.

Technology to some older folks is the devil. That's why a iPad was my choice when choosing a device.

It easier to use than a notebook and you can just poke it with your finger.

Its not really to guide her through everything in daily like. Just something to help her.

Its more like slowly introducing technology in the most none intrusive way or forcing it down someones throat. Its not a huge PC that takes ups space. Don't want to take any space from the hummels.

I have it set up where she sites down every morning to have her coffee. Always on and always charging. I also plan on putting a dock in her bedroom and sewing area. Someone is their to check on her everyday too.

Making it fun is right on. Its a cool thing and not some huge machine or a tiny phone. Hard to believe we've have most of the technology for 10 years. It just took SJ to make it popular

Lets face it the baby boomers are getting old. We all are as US population is dropping. This topic will be a big one.

@knock glad to hear its working out. Like a kid with a new toy hey?

@1991 Their a millions of could's in the world.

Thanks !
:)

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its going to sound funny but the newest build of the USA today app has a really nice multitouch adjustment of page and font size. Not implying all elderly are blind but I know that becomes an issue.

jeanne12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any apps for Stroke victims

Looking for any apps that can help a stroke victim recover speech and ability to use hand/arm.

rjbern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suggestion

So I my brothers and I, (we are all in our late teens early twenties), got an ipad for our grandparents this past year. We also had some trouble finding good apps for them, but we did find a couple that I figure I could share.

Weather HD
This one was great for the weather because it was so pretty, you just like to come and watch the pictures.

Obituary
They read the obituaries almost every day, so we found this app that has obituaries from around the country. It was pretty easy to use, and also it was pretty, but it wasn't made for the ipad which was a down side.

Is that gluten free
My grandfather has is gluten free, so this app was great for him. It really is only good though if you are trying to be gluten free.

Those are only a couple, but I hope that helps other people looking for apps.

shaanhaider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look this friends, hope you will find these apps for elderly useful

Top 6 iPhone & iPad Apps For the Elderly --> Edited by Moderator - no links to your own site/blog, please read the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

coleslawandorder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My father is 87 and almost deaf and my mother is constantly yelling to make herself understood. She writes things down to show him but that takes a long time.
Is there an ipad speech to text app where she could speak and it converts into large easy to read words on the ipad screen?
I've been digging around on google and couldn't find anything like this

richlowenberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Postcards

I realize this thread is pretty old, but if anyone is still looking for apps for the elderly I'm the creator of an app called Postcards. It's a simple way for people who don't have any computer experience to receive photos, videos (inc. YouTube) and messages from their loved ones. My 91 year old Grandma uses it every day (although not before she cleans her house, she's a disciplined woman!). If anyone is looking to keep in touch with their elderly relatives easily, then I'd love to hear what you think of it. If you search "postcardsapp" on google you'll find us!

Thanks!

Rich.

Most reactions

Latest posts