What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what are benefits?

ion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was curious what benefits i would have from jailbraking my ipad? i read about the cydia store, googled and didn't see anything special as far as glancing through some apps went. i figure there must be some good reason i would want to do it as it seems popular?

lrg32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's basically having more control over your device.

For me, the benefits are having SBsettings, OpenSSH, Activator, and Winterboard.

These are all downloaded from Cydia and are a must have if you decide that jailbreaking is for you.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was curious what benefits i would have from jailbraking my ipad? i read about the cydia store, googled and didn't see anything special as far as glancing through some apps went. i figure there must be some good reason i would want to do it as it seems popular?

I found with 4.2.1 there are a bunch of little things that you can do that makes using the device a more enjoyable experience.

I use:

Activator - So that when the screen is locked I can press the home button to turn on the screen and the home button again to unlock the device. Makes it easier and can do it one handed.

FolderEnhancer - So that I can change minor characteristics about the folders and allows me to use the next item to move multiple items in and out at one time.

Multiiconmover - So that I can move multiple icons at a time.

GPower Pro - So that I can hold down the power button and it brings up three sliders, Off, reboot and respring. Normally it would just bring up the option to turn the device off.

Gridlock - Allows you to place icons/folders anywhere on the homescreen. If you want them on the bottom or along the sides, you can place them there without the iPad auto-arranging them.

iFile - Gives you access to the file structure of the iPad. Allows you to do many more things with the iPad away from a computer running itunes.

MobileVolumeSound - Adds the mac clickity sound when increasing or decreasing volume

NoMute - This is buggy, but basically it makes the hardware switch lock rotation again. Its buggy because it also mutes the device.

RetinaPad - Allows you to run iPhone apps at retina resolution instead of in crappy iphone resolution.

NoSpot - Prevents the spotlight page from appearing on the homescreen. I never used it and it was an annoyance to me.

TV Tube Sleep - Emulates the Gingerbread TV tube turn off animation. Look it up on youtube if you are interested.

XBMC - The greatest media player created. Plays files in nearly any format. Can handle 720P MKV files without a problem. Still not fully polished as it was just recently released for the iPad, but they are constantly working on it and updating it.

Hope I helped.

Last edited:
OP
I

ion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guess i stick with default. i dont need any of that stuff. last thing i need is the ability to muck deeper into the OS, its why my Windows 7 OS always ends up acting weird.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
GPower Pro - So that I can hold down the power button and it brings up three sliders, Off, reboot and respring. Normally it would just bring up the option to turn the device off.

Hope I helped.

Nice reminder about GPower Pro. I love that tweak!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folder enhancer is da shiiiiizzznittt...lol and g- power also. Thnkx for posting it up. I was always curious n soooo glad i installed them. Now that im on the new rc6, ima check to see if activator wrkin right. It was wrkin on rc5, BUT, caused ipad settings to crash. Ipad settings would only open every other time i tried. Try to open settings, hang thn crash, tried again thn wrked. I loved activator but settings issue got tedious. Reset activator defaults back to normal, settings wrk everytime, as it should ;-) now to try it out agaun on rc6. Wish me luck..lol

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, i figured out whats causing the crash. Cuz, at first, i was about to post its doing the same thing. Hope this helps anyone else. If u go to settimgs, and set an activator setting, once ur done, dont leave activator highlighted in settings. Thats causing the crash. If u leave activator highlighted once ur done, whenever u try to go back to settings, it will only open every other time. As it crashes the first time u try to open ipad settings. When activator not highlighted, it opens every single time. I troubleshot it numerous times, and leaving the activator highlighted once ur done causes this crash to have settings only open every other time. Just highlight something else once ur dkne setting up activator and ur good ;-)

Kinghalifax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ability to customize you ipad any way yoy want... As well as ** EDIT ** ...lol

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinghalifax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do find the auto rotation a bit laggy. But other than that i am happy with the jb. I love the custom themes and tweaks

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
guess i stick with default. i dont need any of that stuff. last thing i need is the ability to muck deeper into the OS, its why my Windows 7 OS always ends up acting weird.

I've found a jailbreak is just what I needed to make my 256 GB iPad truly useful. Yes, I said 256 Gigabyte. With a JB, I can carry a considerable amount of data with me in my wallet when I grab a handful of SD Cards or a cheap Flash Drive.

My iPad has unlimited storage capabilities that makes my device truly useful. Perhaps one day, I'll get some more memory cards so I can carry a Terabyte of data.

I do not like being locked in to one set of icons and no customization options past the changing the wallpaper. I do like themes, I am finding out. So a JB allows me to pick and choose what parts of several themes I want to use.

I can use "Widgets." Mr. Jobs came out about this and told us users that Apple knows best, so he has simply rid their marketplace of all widgets and anything that changes the iPad "Desktop."

WARNING WARNING WARNING I Am using the Dreaded "F" Word

Flash, there I said it. Flash is not needed by many, or definitely required according to others. Some say HTML5 will address this issue, but who only knows when it will be widely adopted. Perhaps after Microsoft buys Apple and brings out a Windows-Apply Hybrid. But, for now, Apple wont allow flash; a JB allows Frash if you absolutely need it.

Whew, sorry gang, but I had to say it. Flash is the forum's new F word, I suppose.

There you go, a few reasons to JB an iPad.

Bob Maxey

Most reactions

Latest posts