What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What app is best for working on documents?

drdee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering how to transfer documents to my iPad 2 and which app is best for word processing?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering how to transfer documents to my iPad 2 and which app is best for word processing?

If the documents you are transferring (and presumably wish to edit) are in Microsoft Office format, you'll need to use one of the Apple Office apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) or one of the Microsoft Office look-alike apps (Documents to Go, Quick Office).

I suspect someone will chime in with an excellent review of the alternatives by one of the contributors here. Either search for the thread or wait for someone to point it out to you. (Probably in Tips/Tricks).

As far as transferring the data to and from the iPad, you'll want to examine options like DropBox that enable you to move documents to the "cloud" and pick them up from your iPad or PC.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

RedCoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can transfer files from a pc to iPad with iTunes, but its not the most ideal way to do it. I would recommend a DropBox personally. You get 2 gigs of storage free and it makes for a fairly painless way to move files to and from your iPad from where ever.

As for which word processing app is the best its hard to recommend one for you without more details on what you want to do. Check out my comparison that Tim linked above. If you have any specific questions that aren't addressed there feel free to ask me.

lps0876

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find that the quickest way to transfer between pc and iPad is to email attachments to myself.

silvertemplar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After some reading , i have settled with QuickOffice Pro HD ($20 in appstore) The reasons are simple

1. It works with standard office formats natively (no importing or exporting nonsense). If you are remotely in a microsoft environment outside of your ipad then iWorks (numbers,pages etc) is not going to make you happy.
2. It integrates seamlessly with Google Docs (this was a big deal for me) . This implies you hook up your gmail account inside the app and bam all those docs are available to edit . You can also copy between ipad and google docs directly if you want to work offline or get the docs online etc.
3. It is optimized for the ipad, some of the other products seems to have an iphone feel to it or feels like a windows app

Now i suppose if you are heavily entrenched with apple products, then the iWorks suite would make more sense.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most reactions