What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about my DVD back catalog?

gschilling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With today's new product announcements I am considering either a new iPad or iPad mini to replace an aging laptop. My three kids would use this new device primarily as a browser and media player. My question is what is the best way to have our back catalog of DVD movies accessible on the iPad/mini over WiFi? I know enough to RIP/convert to mp4 and move to the device, but I would like to store these mp4's somewhere central so that the kids can stream to the iPad, and future iOS devices. Do I need to buy a media server of some sort? I have a PC, but don't want to rely on having to turn it on. I'm new to this whole area, so be patient with the noob !!
Thanks.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Personally, convert them into iTunes MV4 files. I have all my DVDs in iTunes on a MacMini that runs all the time and I can access the movies and music and TV shows at any time on my iPad, iPhone ATV2 and MBP.

you can also look into a NAS device with plenty of space that has the capability to stream media. the Western Digital My Book Live or My Book Live Duo allow that and even has an iOS app.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Somerled said:
Personally, convert them into iTunes MV4 files. I have all my DVDs in iTunes on a MacMini that runs all the time and I can access the movies and music and TV shows at any time on my iPad, iPhone ATV2 and MBP.

you can also look into a NAS device with plenty of space that has the capability to stream media. the Western Digital My Book Live or My Book Live Duo allow that and even has an iOS app.

Yes, a NAS like the WDs have a media player built in for this very purpose. Works well with apps like Goodplayer or OPlayerHD.

OP
G

gschilling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, a NAS like the WDs have a media player built in for this very purpose. Works well with apps like Goodplayer or OPlayerHD.

I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about streaming HD video over WIFI. Seems like it could seriously chug.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gschilling said:
I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about streaming HD video over WIFI. Seems like it could seriously chug.

How well the HD works is going to depend on the wifi router, and the specs of your iPad. Generally, you will find it will struggle.

OP
G

gschilling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How well the HD works is going to depend on the wifi router, and the specs of your iPad. Generally, you will find it will struggle.

Thanks. Then it may make sense to upgrade my router instead, they all seem to have USB ports now so I can file share my existing external hard drive. That way I ensure maximum bandwidth to all devices.

Most reactions