What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about iPad original edition ?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly yes, if you want an inferior tablet experience...

The iPad1 is good for probably (in my estimation) a couple of years service yet. You will just need to accept that, like most consumer products of this type, they cannot support the latest and greatest OS and software. 5.1.x will be as far is it goes, but I have that running on my iPad1 and it is perfectly serviceable (much better than 5.0 was). At a certain point, hardware constraints will become too limiting for new software. That time is now for the iPad1 and IOS6.

The Android platform is no different, and in fact evidence would show it is in many respects worse due to the severe fragmentation of Android versions across devices. If you think an Android tablet purchased today will certainly have support for more than 3 major point releases of Android in the future, I think you are deluded. The iPad1 has supported IOS Version 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x.

A better question to ask is, is it not time to plan your migration to the iPad3 or iPad4 over the next 6 months or so...? The answer to that from me is also, certainly yes :)

Last edited:

BartuHTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I never had a hacking issue with Android. You have to do one simple thing, and It's done forever. Doesn't matter the version. Like my Android, It's produced with 2.3, but now I have 4.0.4 with no issue. Most android devices work the same way. When I bought my iPad 6 months ago, I had to wait months for a jailbreak.

Swiped with HTC Trace on Desire S using Fallout 3 with HTC Sense 4
I also have an iPad 2 iOS5.1.1, jailbroken by pod2g.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had my Android for nearly two years. I loved rooting it and flashing new ROMs. However, the device reached a point where I simply couldn't push it any further. As much as I wanted ICS, it wasn't going to happen. While I did like my Android, when it came due for an upgrade, I switched to an iPhone because I wanted to try something different.

I just don't get the whole Android v. Apple war. We are all individuals with different preferences. I'm certainly not going to bellyache because I couldn't upgrade my phone to a ROM which was just too much for it. While it's understandable people are disappointed the iPad 1 will not run iOS 6, at some point it's to be expected. Same goes for tablets and phones for all operating platforms. Also, you may have had to wait months for a Jailbreak but what about the Android users who are waiting months and months to get ICS? Jellybean (i believe that is the next name) will probably be ready for the prime time before quite a few android phones get ICS. At least when Apple pushes an update, it's available across the boards pending system requirements.

This whole rant made sense in my mind and I hope people can understand the point I'm trying to make.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to put what I said back in context, this thread was not about hacking. It was about OEM support for major OS versions on a device. I stand by my view that the OEM's of Android devices do not offer support for many (if any) major new versions of their OS like Apple do, and therefore, the OP's original statement does not stack up for me.

Nobody is disagreeing that it isn't easy to root and then install a hacked ROM onto an Android device (I've done it dozens of times myself), but I don't buy the argument that because it is trivial to root a device, you can somehow be assured of full and hassle free support for each major new release of Android and that's a reason to switch platforms.
ROMS can be (and often are) buggy, particularly when newly released. It can take weeks of revisions to get them fully stable. In that context it's not too dissimilar from waiting for a new iPad jailbreak (which at least are normally bullet proof in terms of stability). I've never had to deal with a jailbreak breaking SMS or calls on my iPhone, but I've experienced that on a rooted Android device more than once due to a buggy ROM. We put up with that because we love hacking our devices, but its not to everyones taste.

I'm happy to be called an Apple fanboi, but I'm no Android hater. We have a Galaxy S III, rooted with CFROOT and ODIN in the house at the moment ;)

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about custom firmwares. I remembered an iOS5 one that could work with the first and second iPod Touch. Although it will take a while to even get to the point of a untethered jailbreak for iOS6.

Sent from K48

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can see why people will feel left out if they have the first version of the iPad but honestly, you aren't missing a whole heckuva lot and you get to keep your trusty you tube app and original maps which are both positives, IMO. Like someone said, at some point a device will stop getting software updates. Just keep using it and enjoying it. Having a different OS doesn't render the tablet useless or anything like that.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What about custom firmwares. I remembered an iOS5 one that could work with the first and second iPod Touch. Although it will take a while to even get to the point of a untethered jailbreak for iOS6.

Sent from K48

Not convinced we would ever see one. Ignoring the technical challenges, the amount of sheer effort required would probably outweigh the benefit.
SHSH Blobs for 6.x can't be generated for an iPad for a start, and those mechanisms cannot be bypassed as things stand AFAIK. Otherwise we would not need to save blobs today. But there is always hope I suppose ;)

Most reactions