What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WePad - an iPad killer?

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The German company Neofonie launched their WePad today. I am very curious what you all think of this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBq66fEVYzo]YouTube - WePad Hands On and First Impressions[/ame]

WePad Goes Head-to-Head Against iPad | Korea IT Times

German tablet PC sets out to rival Apple's iPad - Boston.com

WePad gets official launch in Germany | AndroidSPIN | Your No.1 source for Android news.

(from the last link)
We’ve got some details about the WePad, an Android-based tablet announced last month. WePad is manufactured by Neofonie with collaboration between 4titoo, Siemens, Intel and Adobe as partners. The Tablet comes with WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, 1.3-megapixel camera, 11.6-inch touchscreen with 1366 x 768, GPS, memory card reader, ambient light sensor, accelerometer, stereo speakers, audio output and Full HD 1080p playback. In some new details made public is the price. The price of the WePad is €449 ($611), but if you need 3G and more storage i.e 32 GB, then increases to €569 ($774). The WePad gets an official launch in Germany.

The battery life of WePad is up to 6 hours, for comparison the iPad battery life is up to 10 hours. I hope WePad will come with an expendable battery. While the price of the WePad is high as compared to the iPad, it’s worth it, because it comes with lot of things that iPad did not. Like comes with USB Ports, Camera, Stereo speakers and lot of other things. No doubt, this tablet is better then the Apple iPad.

Preorders for the WePad in Germany will start from coming April 27th with limited availability in July. No words on international launch yet. But if you live in Germany then you are lucky.

Comments anyone?

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think not. If it has the broadcom, and not something like the ION, don't expect much in the way of gaming. The iPad is a great gaming device, among other things. But that is only the tip of the iceburg. This thing cost quiet a bit, at almost $800 USA. I just really did not like, the little of what I saw. It had some nice features, but not $800 nice, ya know? Apple has done a amazing job giving us itunes, the app store, etc... I am not sure this device will ever reach that custom level, sense this is basically just pc hardware, os looks based on some custom build of linux?

OP
dennis

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think not. If it has the broadcom, and not something like the ION, don't expect much in the way of gaming. The iPad is a great gaming device, among other things. But that is only the tip of the iceburg. This thing cost quiet a bit, at almost $800 USA. I just really did not like, the little of what I saw. It had some nice features, but not $800 nice, ya know? Apple has done a amazing job giving us itunes, the app store, etc... I am not sure this device will ever reach that custom level, sense this is basically just pc hardware, os looks based on some custom build of linux?

I still have a real basic question about the WePad- How do we actually use it?

I admit I haven't watched every video clip out there on this thing, but I still haven't seen anyone actually touch the screen, manipulate something, or even type on the virtual keyboard.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To answer that I suggest you go to the website for that product. for questions related to Apple iPad we can answer however for products not associated with apple it is impossible to give answers unless we have users here. Cheers Colin

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would be interesting if anyone actually used it....its a video of a small lcd screen playing a video of a confusing looking interface...awesome...Consider the iPad dead.

OP
dennis

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer that I suggest you go to the website for that product. for questions related to Apple iPad we can answer however for products not associated with apple it is impossible to give answers unless we have users here. Cheers Colin

Their website provided little to no information. I'm just curious really and my questions are somewhat rhetorical. I'm 99.999% sure I will get the iPad 3G (see my sig). The 0.001% uncertainty is pending approval from my wife. :D

But in the interest of fairness I was just hoping to discuss tablet PC technologies from all manufacturers, as long as they aren't total pieces of crap. This forum is, after all, labeled as: iPad General Discussions: General Forum dedicated to all Apple iPad and Tablet Computing related discussions

I was just hoping to get some thoughts from you guys. I'm not trying to stir up any kind of anti-iPad sentiment. Me personally, I'm not terribly impressed by the WePad based on the information from the articles and the YouTube clip. I'm just looking for another perspective.

OP
dennis

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would be interesting if anyone actually used it....its a video of a small lcd screen playing a video of a confusing looking interface...awesome...Consider the iPad dead.

Right-o. It seemed to be pretty good at playing the video of the confusing interface.

oh oh oh.. and don't forget- we get to pay more for it!

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most interesting thing I noticed in the video was that the wePad was tethered to a POWER CORD.

What happened to a ten hour battery like the iPad has?

Most reactions

Latest posts