Welcome to our original ipad owners

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by col.bris, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    Coming up to my iPads 2nd anniversary. It is still working great. I'd love an iPad 3 but no money. I'll never sell this little piece of magic.

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0

I plan to keep using my iPad 1 indefinitely in tandem with my iPad 2. Still happy with both, especially since iOS 5.1 eliminated the daily RAM-related crashes I was having on iOS 5 and 5.0.1.

I can afford a new iPad, but don't find the new model compelling. I'm curious what else Apple will introduce this year. If a 7" or 8" iPad emerges, I'll buy.
  3. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    I shall never give up my iPad original. This daily companion has changed my life in many ways. It is the first technology that has functioned flawlessly. The only time I have had any trouble has been my own doing--upgrading its OS. It was a truly bad day when I had to keep my iPad home, connected to my laptop, working on upgrading iOS5.01.
  4. Califkate

Califkate iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Amen. Flawless. When I got my ip1 I couldn't believe how quick I was up and running. I love this thing. I hardly use the desktop
    PC and when I do I end up crying with frustrations. Once I figure how I can do my genealogy on the iPad the WAY I want to I'll be PC free!!!!! Thank you all for this forum; I've learned soooo much in less than a day.
  5. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    Totally agree with you MattIM
    Updates caused mega problems for me and to be quite honest with you, the iCloud sync to my laptop is a fail. I still land up synching via cord. I think that's more to do with my crappy Toshiba than Apple. This magic baby has been the highlight of my life, no lies. Maximum 6 hours+ a day. I love this thing.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF
  6. new2cinci

new2cinci iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I just discovered some new iPad tricks & would like to share them.

1 Click Home button twice to get list of apps used recently (you can go back quickly to an application you were using or close some down).
    2 Click Home button once if you're on a non-Home page and it will take you back to Home page.
    3 Touch top right icon to go to the top of a web or text page.

Haven't figured out how to quickly get to bottom of page. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  7. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,836 / 0
    Welcome to the forum. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Have a look at this bookmarklet thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html

The very first java script code is to set it up so you can scroll to the bottom of the page (in Safari). Maybe that'll do?

In addition, we have this huge Tips 'n' Tricks thread running here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html

It's a great thread to read - lots of neat tips in it...

Again, welcome.

Marilyn
  8. kurtwatson

kurtwatson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thats good....we all should obey ipad forum ipad discussion
  9. dana123

dana123 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Nice To Meet you

Hello everyone:)

I would like to say welcome to you first and want me to introduce with you all.We can share our ideas and help us a lot with this forum.

Thanks
  10. malkeet

malkeet iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to know the configuration of my ipad, pl. let me know regarding the same
  11. catyyog01

catyyog01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome,enjoyed ipadforum.
  12. johnsmith01

johnsmith01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple will refresh its i Pad line in March, with a new i Pad 5 and i Pad mini 2 according to one analyst.
  13. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    Um that analyst needs to retake Analytical 101 because we're at the end of March and no new iPad or iPad mini.
  14. asha187

asha187 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, I own the first generation ipad... I have loved and enjoyed my ipad so much... Sadly I put my ipad on charge and when I went to grab it again and play with it to my surprise there was a hugh thick black stripe through the center of it... I have tried everything to find solutions on this even tried contacting apple, but for some reason living in New Zealand it costs a good amount of money just to speak to someone for help on a product they work for... It seems everything is money with these people is it not enough we pay a arm and a leg for the ipad and then on top of that more for apps and every game you get for free you can only get so far before your charged to get to the next level... I think apple is a rip off and am going for samsung now... Its funny how people all over the world are having this problem with the first ipad and instead of apple hooking up a reasonable solution for there first generation to keep it out there they want to see it vanish... Well careful apple because I think ul find alot of your customers vanishing with it... Kia ora...

Ashley...
  15. afox2961

afox2961 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, I still used my i-pad 1. However, i'm having a lot of problems with some bugs. I always get the " debug your console " note.
    I tried to get a suggestion to do just that. Any comments? angel
  16. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357 / 0
    Hi and welcome to the Forum!

These aren't bugs you are experiencing, this feature (Debug Console) is for Developer use only and you need not worry about it, unless you are a Dev.

I think you are just experiencing problems from a lack of ram on your iPad 1. Is your iPad crashing, in Safari perhaps? This is because of a lack of ram. The iPad 1 has only 256mb of ram compared to the ipad2 which has 512mb and the newer iPads which have 1 GB of ram. As apps are only getting bigger with advancing technology the iPad 1 will continue to struggle more and more to keep up. Any sites you may visit through Safari which are graphic intensive will cause crashes also, sites like Facebook in particular.

There are some steps you can take which will limit this happening as much and these steps will also free up ram.

Limit your location services to the apps you are using now. Settings - Privacy - Location Services

Close apps regularly (all apps in your multi task bar are using some ram, even though they are not running and closing them completely will free up this ram)

My apologies if you know already.......To close apps completely - From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen.

Go to Settings - Safari and Clear your History and also Clear your Cookies and Data. Safari retains bits of info from every site you visit.....if you would like to have a look first before clearing your History etc. go to Settings - Safari - Advanced - Website Data - Show All Sites. As you can see there's a lot there.

After doing this, it would be a good idea to do a reset of your iPad just to allow everything to settle in nicely. As you are probably aware, Apple have now ceased updates for the iPad 1 as it is really quite old now in technology terms and although it will still continue to be a great device for certain tasks, it may be time to upgrade to a newer iPad! :(

And again, apologies if you do know........Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

I do hope these steps help you.