What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to iPadForums.net - Your Apple iPad Forum & Community

Yinka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new here and cannot figure out how to start a thread.
I want to know the easiest way to be able to install a network printer so I can print files.
I tried printer pro but I cannot attach the document to printer pro so I cannot point printer pro to it. Any clues, hints or tips will help. Please!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yinka said:
I am new here and cannot figure out how to start a thread.
I want to know the easiest way to be able to install a network printer so I can print files.
I tried printer pro but I cannot attach the document to printer pro so I cannot point printer pro to it. Any clues, hints or tips will help. Please!

Hi there and welcome.

There are two options......

If you are using the app, touch forums button (bottom left of screen), navigate to the forum you want to post in and then touch the box with an arrow coming out of it (top right of screen)

On the website, touch the iPad forum button (top left), touch the forum that you want to post in then just above the top post and on the left you will see the purple New Thread button, touch that and you are good to go.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html & hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

The Archangel

Yinka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So a "new kid on the block" like me cannot use a printer until I become guru......

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks.
Any help with printing?

Apple have their own proprietary printing protocol called 'AirPrint'. Only a few printers support it at present - HP is one of those that do and you can see if your model is on the list at the Apple web site

Apple - iPad 2 - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

If it is there, then you can print directly under iOS 4.2 and 4.3 from apps that support in-app printing, such as Apple's iPad iWorks suite ('Pages', 'Numbers' and 'Keynote'). Not all apps support in-app printing, so you need to check out whether the app you're interested in does. For example, Apple's native iPad 'Calendar' app does not support in-app printing.

If your printer is not on the list then there are third-party apps that can help. Some printer manufacturers have released apps for PCs with their printers connected (i.e. Lexmark). On these models, an app on your PC or Mac 'pretends' to be an AirPrint printer and the app translates the AirPrint printing protocol into a form that the printer understands.

However, there are standalone apps for the iPad and 'Print N Share' is one of the best known. It can print directly from the iPad to a WiFi printer without any PC being involved. It does this by 'pretending' to be an AirPrint printer. It then, similar to the previous case, translates the AirPrint printing protocol to a form that your printer understands.

Most all WiFi equipped printers are supported by 'Print N Share' but even those few that are not are able to print via a PC using, again, a small (free) app that's available from the developers of 'Print N Share'. Once again, this app sits on your PC or Mac and links your iPad to the printer via your PC - meaning, too, that the printer can be WiFi, USB or even Bluetooth. The downside is that the PC has to be switched on.

One 'issue' that sometimes confounds users of 'Print N Share' is that this only works under iOS 4.2 or 4.3 - the iPad's 'multi-tasking' operating system (OS). 'Print N Share' needs to be loaded and running before you can print!! So, if you're going to be doing some printing, you need to first of all fire up 'Print N Share' and leave it running in the background. You can check whether it is running by double tapping the iPad's 'Home' button, to see the tasks that are 'loaded' in the 'Multi-task' menu bar. For various reasons, it's helpful if 'Print N Share' was loaded quite recently. If you haven't printed for a while, use the multi-task bar to 're-activate' it.

If you're happy to leave your PC switched on then another - and probably better - way forward is to use a PC program called FingerPrint. This is a program that runs on your PC and makes it 'look' like an AirPrint printer. It's as close as you'll get to plug-and-play printing for non-AirPrint printers. You simply download the program (there's a free 7-day version available so you can try it at no risk), install it, start the program (it automatically inserts itself into the PC's startup menu) choose the printers you want to offer to the iPad - it shows you the usual list that you get from a regular Windows print dialog box - and that's it. When you want to print on your iPad (there's no separate app for the iPad) you simply choose the print menu in apps that support in-app printing and FingerPrint makes your PC look like an AirPrint printer. You'll be offered, in the iPad, the choice of printers that you selected on the PC and off you go. FingerPrint receives the printing data from the iPad over WiFi and translates it into a form that your printer understands. I have it on my PC and it works just great.

Hope this helps, but don't hesitate to post any more detailed questions that you might have.

Tim
Scotland

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AirPrint is actually an interface API to HPs ePrint printers, which is why support is currently limited to HP printers.

PrintCentral is a great option to enable printing to any printer on your network.

-t

Yinka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I did, it was talking about specific network printers (i.e. HP). I use a canon and I get easily confused about the AirPrint and all that. I need to be put through, like if there was a video on the u tube I could watch or something.

I.T. Is not my background, so I struggle a bit.....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevinlim said:
wyh ipad 2 some game cant install

This isn't really the right thread for this.......but rather than such a sweeping statement why not give us some examples of games that won't install, that way other members have more chance of helping you.

The Archangel

Most reactions