What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird thing

HRK87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad was charged to 8% - meaning the battery was almost dying, but I wanted to sync it real quick and connected it to my laptop. Of course the not charging msg came up. After about 5 hours, despite 'not charging' I disconnected it and the battery's at 41% right now. Is that normal?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the things I noticed that iPad doesn't do is charge via USB to my iMac like both my Blackberry and Droid do. So no, it's not normal I don't know how to explain that.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, Hook, but that is very normal. It is charging, just slowly, should be about 75% slower, but, it seems to be only about 50% slower time wise. Normal charge starts out at about 2amps and ramps slowly down to a trickle over time. With USB it starts out about 0.5amps ( 500milli amps) and takes longer, but it will charge it to 100% overnight. I do it all the time, seldom use the iPad charger, except for the once a month less than 20% to 100% charge.:)

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple state that charging via USB nay occurs with "newer" Macs. That's why the adapter that comes with it is a wall charger.

I've noticed that mine does charge VERY slowly on my PC, since it only takes a couple of hours for an 80% charge on the wall, and I get 10-12 hours per charge, it doesn't matter much.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They should change that message from Not Charging to Charging, but not real fast!

The thing you have to be careful of when you hook your iPad up to a PC or laptop is that if your power saver mode puts your computer to sleep or into hibernation mode, it will stop charging and could even possibly start depelting your battery.

Most reactions