1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Weird thing

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by HRK87, Dec 9, 2010.

1. HRK87

HRK87 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My iPad was charged to 8% - meaning the battery was almost dying, but I wanted to sync it real quick and connected it to my laptop. Of course the not charging msg came up. After about 5 hours, despite 'not charging' I disconnected it and the battery's at 41% right now. Is that normal?
  2. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    One of the things I noticed that iPad doesn't do is charge via USB to my iMac like both my Blackberry and Droid do. So no, it's not normal I don't know how to explain that.
  3. Pocobear

Pocobear iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Sorry, Hook, but that is very normal. It is charging, just slowly, should be about 75% slower, but, it seems to be only about 50% slower time wise. Normal charge starts out at about 2amps and ramps slowly down to a trickle over time. With USB it starts out about 0.5amps ( 500milli amps) and takes longer, but it will charge it to 100% overnight. I do it all the time, seldom use the iPad charger, except for the once a month less than 20% to 100% charge.:)
  4. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Apple state that charging via USB nay occurs with "newer" Macs. That's why the adapter that comes with it is a wall charger.

I've noticed that mine does charge VERY slowly on my PC, since it only takes a couple of hours for an 80% charge on the wall, and I get 10-12 hours per charge, it doesn't matter much.
  5. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    They should change that message from Not Charging to Charging, but not real fast!

The thing you have to be careful of when you hook your iPad up to a PC or laptop is that if your power saver mode puts your computer to sleep or into hibernation mode, it will stop charging and could even possibly start depelting your battery.
  6. Mossi

Mossi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I'll try syncing and charging at the same time. Sounds good to me!