What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Charging Problem

Nightstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing to add to the notes...

The original cable that came with the iPad 1 has a short strain relief on it.
The cable that came with the new iPad 3 has a longer strain relief and need to verify but is thinner in diameter.
The iDevice can detect how much it can pull to recharge by the voltage level on the data pins of the USB.
MintyBoost - The mysteries of Apple device charging

OP
Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read about this issue before I actually saw it reported in this thread. So the cables may indeed have different versions.

That's what I'm thinkin. The one included with the new iPad might be just slightly thicker or somethin along those lines, but I dont know lol

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinkin. The one included with the new iPad might be just slightly thicker or somethin along those lines, but I dont know lol

I have been collecting Apple cables over the years. I have them for iPad, iPods, and iPhone. And I have at least 3 different third party cables (30 pins on one end, usb on the other) and 3 different 10W chargers. IME, I can charge iPad or iPhone with any of them. The charger is what is important in terms of charging the iPad, since it needs to deliver 10W unless you want really slow charging. If they OP was having trouble before and not now, I'd look to the cable in particular, rather than assuming there is some unseen difference between these Apple cables (some do have slightly different sized 30 pin connectors and whatnot, but IME those differences are not important).

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been collecting Apple cables over the years. I have them for iPad, iPods, and iPhone. And I have at least 3 different third party cables (30 pins on one end, usb on the other) and 3 different 10W chargers. IME, I can charge iPad or iPhone with any of them. The charger is what is important in terms of charging the iPad, since it needs to deliver 10W unless you want really slow charging. If they OP was having trouble before and not now, I'd look to the cable in particular, rather than assuming there is some unseen difference between these Apple cables (some do have slightly different sized 30 pin connectors and whatnot, but IME those differences are not important).

The cables of my original iPad and the one for iPad 3 are interchangeable for charging and syncing. But I cannot testify beyond that (such as the problem Yakuza was experiencing.)

OP
Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The cable I was using was a new one from a 4S bought a week ago, the one that wouldn't charge past 80 or so percent. I then switched cables and the next night it charged to 100%, I hardly think its,the chargers fault.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cable I was using was a new one from a 4S bought a week ago, the one that wouldn't charge past 80 or so percent. I then switched cables and the next night it charged to 100%, I hardly think its,the chargers fault.

Can we safely assume the iPad cables (from version 1~3) differ from all other iOS devices and therefore shouldn't be mixed??

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
grouchomarx said:
Can we safely assume the iPad cables (from version 1~3) differ from all other iOS devices and therefore shouldn't be mixed??

I don't think so. I've long since forgotten which cable came with what product. I think if it mattered apple would label the cables.

Most reactions

Latest posts