What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Website vs. Apps

earlboston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get an email that has a link to a website. When I click on the link it takes me to, lets say Facebook. I have the App, but it tells me there's an app for this site and do you want to install it. (Or whatever they're calling it now). I have the Facebook App, so why doesn't my iPad 2 know it?

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I get an email that has a link to a website. When I click on the link it takes me to, lets say Facebook. I have the App, but it tells me there's an app for this site and do you want to install it. (Or whatever they're calling it now). I have the Facebook App, so why doesn't my iPad 2 know it?

Here is the catch:
Your iPad knows, but it wants you to actively choose to open the link in Facebook:
When Safari took you to the link, press the "action" button, then choose to open it in the Facebook App. (See pic)
Should work with other apps as well.

image-8365860.jpg

Hope this answers your question!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And to add: Apple designed it so the user can decide whether to stay in Safari or to open an installed app. If it defaulted to opening an installed app, we would probably see many complaints about that auto-opening. :)

So, I'm sure Apple decided to let the user decide...

Marilyn

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm with Marilyn here. If I'm using Safari instead of an installed app, I have my reasons for doing so, and I would be pretty choked if the app insisted on opening. It would be deleted in pretty short order. In fact, that's what happened to the YouTube app because of it's insistence on carrying a huge banner in Safari "suggesting" that I use the app instead.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. I have found that a number of apps are poor substitutes for the web sites an often have limited functionality.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes I want the website, other times I want the app. It depends.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like not to be offered an app on the same sites over and over. Sometimes I already have the app, and other times I JUST DON'T WANT YOUR BLOODY APP, lol.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally, I find it annoying because most web sites are updated much more quickly than apps are updated.
Furthermore you have better control over your usage tracking on the browser, I think.
Anyway, I would use the app for things like playing games or reading something offline and I would use the browser for most anything else.
If you think about the learning curve for each app that is going to have a slightly different user interface, you might feel better off just using a browser that you already invested time learning how to use.

Most reactions