What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webmail

madam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Read your response to my email on the 2 finger scroll. I am trying to post a reply but it will not let me type in the message screen. The keyboard is not coming up. What am I doing wrong?

Also I tried the 2 finger action but it does not work. Any other suggestions?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

See if this solves the problem of the keyboard not coming up and the two-finger scroll not working. If you still can't do it, get back to us and we'll try some other ideas...

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

madam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so good to go on the keyboard now, but no go on the two finger scroll.

A couple of things to mention - it maybe that my webmail is not supported in the safari browser. I have called our internet provider but they are not much help.

Also, when I tap on a message, the keyboard comes up.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - glad you've got the keyboard!!

So, if the two finger scroll doesn't work, does just a single finger scroll? I'd assumed that you'd probably tried that first of all, but I can't see any mention of that in your posts. I can't understand, otherwise, why you can't scroll the text. Is the message text from your email in a separate 'frame' within the window shown by Safari? Rather like the iPad Forum message 'frame' or does it occupy the entire window, like a regular web page?

Tim

OP
M

madam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The top of the split screen shows the last 7 messages. The bottom pane shows the body of the message that has been highlighted. The issue is I cannot move the top pane of the screen to show messages 8 to remainder. Cannot scroll down (has scroll down bar) as I would do on my laptop with IE on Windows.

When I tap on one of the messages the first thing that happens is the keyboard pops up. Once I hide it I am able to read the body of the message.

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was in your other thread - but who is the service provider? I'll try to go onto their site and try their webmail for myself and see if I can see what the issue is.

Sorry it's taking me so long to sort this problem for you...

Tim

OP
M

madam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NP Tim, thanks for being there to answer my questions.

Webmail.eastlink.ca. Although they say they support Safari (on their website) when you get to the login page they note not all functionality will work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NP Tim, thanks for being there to answer my questions.

Webmail.eastlink.ca. Although they say they support Safari (on their website) when you get to the login page they note not all functionality will work.

OK - yes, I can see their warning notice. Of course, I can't login so I can get much further than that page.

Lateral thinking...any particular reason why you're using webmail rather than the iPad's native Mail app?

Tim

OP
M

madam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We need to use webmail for traveling purposes. We like to keep our eastlink email instead of gmail/hotmail. I was hoping we could eliminate taking the laptop.

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We need to use webmail for traveling purposes. We like to keep our eastlink email instead of gmail/hotmail. I was hoping we could eliminate taking the laptop.

Thanks

OK - I'm probably being very stupid here, but why can't you send/receive your eastlink email using the iPad's native Mail app? Why do you want to do webmail on the iPad? The iPad's native Mail app can send/receive eastlink email - no problem.....(OK, you have to set this up in the iPad's 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar' - but we can help you through that (hopefully more successfully than we've been able to help you with the webmail...:( )

Tim

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The op seems to be under the impression you can only use gmail/hotmail for inbuilt mail app, however as tim pointed out, with the right settings you should be able to use any email.

I found this:

Use the information below to configure your e-mail account, newsgroup settings and other Internet related activities.

EastLink High Speed Internet Server List:

Mail Servers-Incoming (POP3)

NS, PEI and NB pop.eastlink.ca
Access Cable E-mail pop.accesscable.net
Mail Servers-Outgoing (SMTP)

NS, PEI and NB smtp.eastlink.ca
Access Cable E-mail smtp.accesscable.net
User Webs

NS, PEI and NB users.eastlink.ca
Access Cable Users users.accesscable.net
FTP Servers

NS, PEI and NB ftp.eastlink.ca

Which should enable you to setup your east link account using the inbuilt app.

http://www.eastlink.ca/west/support/hsi/email.asp

OP
M

madam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok..

Current settings:

Incoming mail:
Host name - mail.eastlink.ca

Outgoing Mail Server:
SMTP = smtp.eastlink.ca
Primary Server - smtp.eastlink.ca
Other SMPT Servers - (add server)

When we are on somebody else's wifi we are able to receive mail with native email but never able to send. Consequently we resort to webmail. Please let me know if I can change this. That would be too cool!

Ann

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok..

Current settings:

Incoming mail:
Host name - mail.eastlink.ca

Outgoing Mail Server:
SMTP = smtp.eastlink.ca
Primary Server - smtp.eastlink.ca
Other SMPT Servers - (add server)

When we are on somebody else's wifi we are able to receive mail with native email but never able to send. Consequently we resort to webmail. Please let me know if I can change this. That would be too cool!

Ann

OK - now we know!!!!!!!!!!!!
The absolutely infamous Port 25 relay problem.........:D:D:D

OK - long story - are you sitting comfortably??

In 'ye olden days' the 'grandfathers' of email thought - OK - we should require a password to receive email (just like paper mail requires you to access your secure mailbox) but why would we ever require a password to *send* mail - after all, if you want to send mail to someone you just drop it into a mailbox....

But - and those old days 'of yore' were innocent times..... - they had never thought that someone might try to send an email pretending to be ---- well ---- Bill Gates or --- our very own Steve......

so they didn't require a password for sending mail.....

OK - turn the clock forward 30 years......

so, now we have people pretending to be Bill or Steve - after all, if you received a credible looking letter from someone you generally believe it to be true....

Now Internet service providers can verify your identity on your home network because your ADSL broadband router requires a secure login so, from home, they're happy.

But when you're at a 'foreign location' - i.e. someone else's house and using their WiFi or at Starbucks etc and trying to send mail over the Internet, they have no idea of who you are, so they block this...it's called the 'Port 25 relay problem' (a 'port' is a technical Internet term). Port 25 is the port number assigned to email....

So, you can send from home but not from your friend's house..

What's the solution? - to use an updated mail protocol that requires secure login - easy to do and then you're good to go..

So - are you up for it? It's going to require some 'technical stuff' in the 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calander', 'Accounts' area of the iPad....we can guide you through this and then you'll have a fully working iPad Mail app that can send and receive email both from home and from anywhere else in the Universe....

There are bound to be a couple of false starts and problems, but it's not that difficult and then you'll sit back and wonder what all the problems were.....

OK - it's about 5pm in the UK and I'm about to go out for the evening with my wife for dinner - I'll be 'back in the office' at about 3am tomorrow morning (that's GMT+1 hour) and I'm happy to guide you through this - hey, wouldn't you feel great having done this? It's not so difficult, so let's give it a try.....

Send me a PM if you want to give it a try (there are so many posts that it's easier if you let me know via a PM if you want to give it a try...)

We'll do it....

Tim

Most reactions