What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webcams for iPad to use Skype

Traps46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all does anybody no which webcam to use with iPads so I can use Skype video call thanks

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype and tango video conferencing apps do work, n very well, with ipad1. BUT the drawback is since iPad has no cam, they can't see u, BUT U CAN STILL SEE IN HEAR n talk to THEM JUST FINE. I use them all the time now. I was amazed my ipad1 could do that even though I had no cam. Anyways, sometimes u don't want the other person to see u..lmfao. But it works though. I know cuz I use them. Tango let's u video chat across multiple formats or with people with mobile phones that has tango installed. I think it's really cool my iPad can do that!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype and tango video conferencing apps do work, n very well, with ipad1. BUT the drawback is since iPad has no cam, they can't see u, BUT U CAN STILL SEE IN HEAR n talk to THEM JUST FINE.

Easy there... calm down.

Now reread the first post. I think we all know skype works, and it has for some time. But when someone asks about a Webcam, as in a piece of hardware, we kinda know what the question is. And it is not about simply running skype. It's about, well, using a webcam with skype.

Michael

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype and tango video conferencing apps do work, n very well, with ipad1. BUT the drawback is since iPad has no cam, they can't see u, BUT U CAN STILL SEE IN HEAR n talk to THEM JUST FINE.

Easy there... calm down.

Now reread the first post. I think we all know works, and it has for some time. But when someone asks about a Webcam, as in a piece of hardware, we kinda know what the question is. And it is not about simply running skype. It's about, well, using a webcam with skype.

Michael

Oh I know. I was letting the new readers of the post know, basically. But yeah, it sux ipad1 has no USB cam support even though it could be easily possible. Apple restricted it so that ipad2 would look appealing. Cuz if ipad1 had USB cam support, there would be a lot less people buying ipad2.
From 1 Michael to the other ;-)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well in theory this could be done with another iOS device, without jailbreaking. There are already apps that can use the camera in the iPhone or iPod touch on the iPad. I have one that lets me take photos with my iPhone 4 from my iPad--and see live what I am going to shoot, and saved to the iPad. I have another app that lets me view a live video image from my iPhone on my iPad. So in theory this is perfectly doable. But with the iPad 1 already, ahem, "obsolete" I doubt we will see it happen. :)

Michael

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now, there are a couple of products that can do this, the BT-1 from ecamm is the easiest to find and purchase, but is ridiculously expensive at $149 (same or more than a Cannon PowerShot or similar pocket camera).

If they can make a BT camera connect, we should be able to make any old BT camera (with mic) connect.

Most reactions