What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Web Sites That Don't Work With Safari

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This seems to becoming more and more of a problem, and it's not just the lack of Flash.

I tried to order something online today and just couldn't complete the order on the iPad. There were certain fields that auto-comlpeted (presumably Java Script) based on information in other fields. The wierd thing was that everything worked at one or another but never the same session, there was always something that didn't work..

I gave up and tried my wife's 7" Andoroid tablet which worked first time. It was nowhere near as nice as the iPad but it actually worked without fuss.

Given that web browsing it one of major activities on a Tablet device, I find it annoying that a significant number of web sites won't work on the iPad.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't yet found any sites that don't work with mobile safari (not that I can recall anyway) but it would be worth knowing which ones are incompatible.

Also, be worth dropping the site owners feedback about such sites. Given the millions of iOS users in the world they may be missing out without even knowing.

The Archangel

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't yet found any sites that don't work with mobile safari (not that I can recall anyway) but it would be worth knowing which ones are incompatible.

Also, be worth dropping the site owners feedback about such sites. Given the millions of iOS users in the world they may be missing out without even knowing.

The Archangel

I think that this was some issue with Java Script and the strange thing was that execution was inconsistent rather than failing outright. One problem was with the calculation of the invoice amount after choosing what to purchase and the other was the provision of the suburb name after entering a postcode. On each occasion, one would work but not the other, never both at the same time.

I have also found some http sites where list boxes don't display, for example user admin on my Western Digital NAS. It must be the built in support in iOS because all iPad web browsers have the same problem. No such problems with Internet Explorer.

The other annoyance is Safari crashing regularly since upgrading mybiPad 1to iOS 5.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never seen or heard of anyone complaining about a website that didn't work with Safari. Ever.

Why do you keep using the iPad? You clearly do not like it ~ your Android tablet always seems to come through for you! :)

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have never seen or heard of anyone complaining about a website that didn't work with Safari. Ever.

Why do you keep using the iPad? You clearly do not like it ~ your Android tablet always seems to come through for you! :)

A few reasons:D.

It's a cheap and nasty 7" Android tablet, definitely not as good as the iPad. I mentioned it in this case only because it worked where the iPad (more correctly Safari) failed.

Also, I don't consider that my iPad 1 has reached the end of it's life yet and consider that I am entitled to a device that works reliably.

There is one more problem that I am having with Safari. After a Google search, clicking on one of the links fails to go to that link. Something happens but the link doesn't come up. If I try the same thing with Atomic Browser (on the iPad) it works and when I go back to Safari it then works too.

Did I see somewhere that Safari is going to be updated soon?

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few reasons:D.

It's a cheap and nasty 7" Android tablet, definitely not as good as the iPad. I mentioned it in this case only because it worked where the iPad (more correctly Safari) failed.

Also, I don't consider that my iPad 1 has reached the end of it's life yet and consider that I am entitled to a device that works reliably.

There is one more problem that I am having with Safari. After a Google search, clicking on one of the links fails to go to that link. Something happens but the link doesn't come up. If I try the same thing with Atomic Browser (on the iPad) it works and when I go back to Safari it then works too.

Did I see somewhere that Safari is going to be updated soon?

In my family, we have an iPad 1, iPad 2, iPod Touch, and 2 iPhone 4's. All running iOS 5.01. And I have never seen the glitches you are mentioning. I went and read through your posts, and I am starting to wonder whether you even own an iPad. I am a member of various Apple-related forums and I have noticed an increasing number of Android fans who spend all of their time on iOS forums complaining about and deriding Apple products instead of discussing their Android devices on Android forums. Of course, it's possible that you are not one of them and are genuinely experiencing these problems. But reading through your posts makes me wonder...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've run into a few sites that won't work right on iPad Safari, but I figured the prob is on the website developer's end if they want to access the increasing millions of iPad users as customers, etc. I've noticed that the prob has come up less often over time (noticed it more when iPad 1 first came out), so I gather that website developers are getting it.

It makes more sense to complain to the website developers, because they have control over their site and can tweak and test. I doubt Apple or Safari developers will spend time hunting down websites that don't work and trying to adjust on their end.

When I find a website that's not iPad-friendly, I generally look for an alternative. I figure if a company, etc., is too clueless to pick up on tech that millions have adapted (and who form a great retailing demographic), they probably are too technically slow, ignorant or otherwise lacking. If they can't figure out how to survive and thrive, too bad for them.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went and read through your posts, and I am starting to wonder whether you even own an iPad.

Not true . I have owned an iPad 1 for 18 months and expect another 18 months of service for my investment. I have owned Apple devices at various times since 1979 so I am definitely not anti-Apple.

These are geniune problems that result in not being able to access web sites that I need to using the iPad. I am hoping for a Safari update that will fix some of them. I assume that Hell will havevtonfreeze over before we see Flash on the iPad of course. More likely, Flash will slowly gonawaybInthink.

Last edited:

WindexForWindows

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm a web developer and I recently discovered the iOS/Safari is not completely web standards compliant. The one vexing issue I have with it is that it renders a list box as a drop/pull down menu. While the latter is most commonly found on web pages, the listbox display is sorely needed in some instances. This is true not only for my website, but other website's pages. This non-standard behavoir is a real headache for web developers like myself.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I'm a web developer and I recently discovered the iOS/Safari is not completely web standards compliant. The one vexing issue I have with it is that it renders a list box as a drop/pull down menu. While the latter is most commonly found on web pages, the listbox display is sorely needed in some instances. This is true not only for my website, but other website's pages. This non-standard behavoir is a real headache for web developers like myself.

I am glad to hear from someone who can verify the list box problem. I had no doubt about it but it's nice to have someone else concur.

You might be right about the problem being in the the underlying iOS web support because it is a problem with any web browser on the iPad. The only way around it is not to use the iPad to access these sites. I actually use SplashTop to run Internet Explorer on my notebook to access these sites (there's also the option of actually sitting at at the notebook of course:p).

The same goes for web browser crashes on my iPad 1. I thought that it was just Safari but I have since found that other browsers crash too. The iPad is otherwise quite stable.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There must be a way to handle list boxes that works with Safari iPad, because I've seen and used them on multiple websites.

Don't know whether this will help, but maybe check it out:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1739142.aspx/1

Here's another possibility:

http://51degrees.mobi/Support/Blogs/tabid/212/EntryId/15/iPad-Browser-ListBox-Problem-Solved.aspx

Last edited:

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad, but I too have found that in rare instances I cannot complete all the boxes in a form on a website and must go to my Mac to do the task. It's rare, but I'm curious why.

Most reactions

Latest posts