What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

weak wifi

jose1929

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air that I take with me when I travel. When staying in some hotels and airbnb places, I find the iPad has difficulty acquiring and holding a weak wifi signal, especially if there are many people on the same band. Is there an extender or booster that works well with an iPad that would help get a stronger signal so that posting to Facebook or sending emails does not take so long? Preferably one that doesn't have to be initially connected with an Ethernet cable as the routers are not always accessible.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are boosters and extenders you can use in your own home, but as far as I know you couldn't use that sort of device on a public network.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an iPad Air that I take with me when I travel. When staying in some hotels and airbnb places, I find the iPad has difficulty acquiring and holding a weak wifi signal, especially if there are many people on the same band. Is there an extender or booster that works well with an iPad that would help get a stronger signal so that posting to Facebook or sending emails does not take so long? Preferably one that doesn't have to be initially connected with an Ethernet cable as the routers are not always accessible.

Hi Jose.... - you've already received several posts from Jupiter7 - an important point made was that an 'extender, booster, etc.' is not an option in the situations described (maybe in your home?); also, an ethernet cable cannot be connected to an iPad. What you have not told us: 1) Does your iPad Air work well w/ Wi-Fi if the network is strong and reliable; and 2) What airports and hotels do you visit - not being nosy but wondering what the 'quality' of their Wi-Fi offerings may be? If your iPad has never provided a satisfactory wireless experience, have you had diagnostics done on the device?

Now, if your iPad Air's Wi-Fi is fine on a 'good' network, then your poor 'airport' experience is likely not to improve - I'm sure that you have found differences between different airports - I have when my wife and I fly and I'll just 'turn off' the wireless because of poor and slow connections. In a hotel room, again the first issue is the 'quality' of the Wi-Fi offering - if poor, then not much you can do - of course, you can test the difference between Wi-Fi reception in your room vs. say the lobby (I've had terrible experiences in some hotels).

Another option in a hotel room, is to carry a 'travel router' (I have the two shown below) - these attach via an ethernet cable (which should be available in room) and then create their own 'personal networks' which MAY provide a stronger Wi-Fi signal (only way to know is to test, sorry) - I use to carry these routinely w/ me because in the past some hotels would charge separate fees for each device used in the room (obviously, a major complaint for a family in one room w/ a half dozen Wi-Fi capable machines!) - SO, I could use the router for ONE price, but wife and I would then connect our iPads and iPhone. Thus, please respond to the questions asked and better clarify your situation. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 6.04.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 6.05.04 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts