What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We don't own our e-stuff!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow...I didn't realize that by buying electronic books and music, I was giving up my rights to a perpetual license to that content and handing it over to whomever I bought it from (Amazon, Google, B&N, iTunes). If I had bought the printed copy or that on a disc, I would have a perpetual license to that content as long as I own the media.

Why Amazon is within its rights to remove access to your Kindle books | ZDNet

This, to me, is totally unacceptable.

I'm not going to whine about this, but I'm just going to stop buying (i.e., I meant renting) this kind of license. I'm canceling my order for my Paperwhite, too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's part of TOS, but I have backups for everything, lol.

By the way, other sites have reported that Amazon corrected some misreporting:

They closed her account, but she still has access to stuff she already bought; she just can't buy more. They don't want her business in future, which makes me wonder what terms she violated.

Last edited:

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the reasons why I'll never buy e-books. There is something alienating about the whole thing for me, and while the notion of having one's entire library on a single device is tempting, the problems inherent in such a scheme are too significant for me to buy into it. I only have pdf manuals for my various programs and hardware on my iPad.

There is the same kind of thing in the software I use for music, as well. The process of authentication of the software usually generates long permutations of letters/numbers that are specific to a certain computer. What happens if/when that company goes out of business and I need to install on a new computer, or a re-formatted HDD?

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the reasons why I'll never buy e-books. There is something alienating about the whole thing for me, and while the notion of having one's entire library on a single device, the problems inherent in such a scheme are too significant to me to buy into it.

There is the same kind of thing in the software I use for music, as well. The process of authentication of the software usually generates long permutations of letters/numbers that are specific to a certain computer. What happens if/when that company goes out of business and I need to install on a new computer, or a re-formatted HDD?

Individual consumers have to be savvy enough to back up, remove DRM as needed. I don't support piracy, but I certainly protect my access to what I've bought. There's loads of info on the Web on how to do this. But yes, if someone isn't tech savvy enough, he might be better off sticking with paper.

Me, I buy books of all sorts and enjoy them in print or digital. But if my houses burned down, flooded, etc., I'd be out of luck with my print books. There are tradeoffs with everything, and digital books give me the flexibility I want.

Just use common sense, and there's no need to be afraid of tech.

Last edited:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
It doesn't bother me. In the case of a new release novel / book, I'm saving as much as a third of the cost by "renting" the contents through iBooks, Kindle or some other distributor vs., buying a physical copy from a book store. If it's a title I know I'll probably read more than once, I bite the bullet and spend the extra money to buy a physical copy.

I do admit I miss not being able to gift a book I've read and enjoyed.

AA

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The flip side is that with music, you are now in a position to back up your digital media.

Used to be that although you had bought "intellectual property", when the LP wore out or the cassette tape broke, you were left with no option but to buy it again. If I buy a CD now, I rip it and store the disc. Of course, this has implications if you choose to part with the disc, whether you sell it on or gift it. You are only entitled to the backup for as long as you own the physical media.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a growing library of audible.com (amazon.com) audio books. I don't like the fact that Amazon could up and decide they are out of that business that I can't have access to what I paid for. When I was buying audiobooks on hard media, I didn't have to worry about access to my license to the content has long as I had the media. But what they are saying is that I only own the license if they fit for me too. I was never told this when I bought. And the same thing applies to buying MP3s versus getting the CD and ripping. I don't see there is real savings if you don't have a perpetual license. I get that with hard media, but apparently not with soft media. IMO, this is a big deal.

BTW, the Hobbit on Audible is great!

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's part of TOS, but I have backups for everything, lol.

By the way, other sites have reported that Amazon corrected some misreporting:

They closed her account, but she still has access to stuff she already bought; she just can't buy more. They don't want her business in future, which makes me wonder what terms she violated.

Thanks for posting this. I think this is important! Here, Amazon is doing the right thing.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a growing library of audible.com (amazon.com) audio books. I don't like the fact that Amazon could up and decide they are out of that business that I can't have access to what I paid for. When I was buying audiobooks on hard media, I didn't have to worry about access to my license to the content has long as I had the media. But what they are saying is that I only own the license if they fit for me too. I was never told this when I bought. And the same thing applies to buying MP3s versus getting the CD and ripping. I don't see there is real savings if you don't have a perpetual license. I get that with hard media, but apparently not with soft media. IMO, this is a big deal.

BTW, the Hobbit on Audible is great!

I have backups of all my audiobooks and music, too. With music, I'm still buying CDs and ripping them, partly because I can buy used CDs for a fraction of new, and I'm not buying a lot of new music.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I just read this....I'm not happy. Boy, we'll cancel your account and not tell you why? You can no longer buy from us, but we won't tell you why? We will wipe your Kindle and won't tell you why?

I used to back up my kindle then I stopped because I was under the impression that it wasn't really necessary. Man, Amazon just pulled the wool over my eyes.

When I have a lot of CDs and a lot of books, these things have value. They can be passed on to heirs or friends or donated. But in the world of e-mail, we give that up completely. That is significant. Others are earning huge profits by seducing us into the new-fangled things. I've a lover of all things tech, but some things are just better done the old ways. If I cannot pass on my licensed content, is that really a good thing? We have been turned to the dark side and didn't even notice. And, those like Amazon have ensured themselves future profits by re-selling the content to my heirs! It's both brilliant and evil! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read this....I'm not happy. Boy, we'll cancel your account and not tell you why? You can no longer buy from us, but we won't tell you why? We will wipe your Kindle and won't tell you why?

I used to back up my kindle then I stopped because I was under the impression that it wasn't really necessary. Man, Amazon just pulled the wool over my eyes.

When I have a lot of CDs and a lot of books, these things have value. They can be passed on to heirs or friends or donated. But in the world of e-mail, we give that up completely. That is significant. Others are earning huge profits by seducing us into the new-fangled things. I've a lover of all things tech, but some things are just better done the old ways. If I cannot pass on my licensed content, is that really a good thing? We have been turned to the dark side and didn't even notice. And, those like Amazon have ensured themselves future profits by re-selling the content to my heirs! It's both brilliant and evil! :)

I don't care what happens to my books and music once I'm dead. I buy (and back up) for my pleasure, and that's it.

I bought with my eyes wide open. I just wish I could live forever and keep enjoying all my stuff, lol.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have backups of all my audiobooks and music, too. With music, I'm still buying CDs and ripping them, partly because I can buy used CDs for a fraction of new, and I'm not buying a lot of new music.

I think I'm going to download all of my audiobooks to my Kindle Fire (which I hardly ever use) and then play them while recording them to MP3 using my Zoom recorder. Then I will have DRM free back ups. And like you, I but used or oldie CDs when/where I can. I have a hard time finding music I really like, though, which is why I don't buy a lot of music. I have all of my music CDs in binders and scanned to MP3. I'm probably going to scan them again to get all of the tag info stuff worked out. I view my CD & movie collection as something I can pass on one day.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This isn't something I'm worried about. I figure any company wants to sell me stuff, and I've got to do something pretty bad to make them refuse my money. I'm not doing anything questionable with my accounts, and I'm sure they'll keep taking my money, lol.

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thing I don't like about e-books: I don't like doing intensive reading on a screen. It tires my poor old eyes out, and I know I don't retain as much information. I also like to lend books. In our building complex, people are always leaving books they've read near the mailbox station, kind of like an ad-hoc library, for people to take, read, or keep if they wish. Nope. In some instances, I use cutting-edge technology because it suits my purposes. In other ways, I am a complete, unrepentant, Luddite. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts